Re: [HOn3] You can't easily add sound to tender drive

  • roundbellrr
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2013
      The problem is that the worm drives the gear on the axle. This puts the
      drive shaft (worm) too low in the frame to be a motor shaft. The solution is
      to rig a Delrin idler gear above the axle gear so the worm is near the
      centerline of the boiler, then you can rig a high quality motor in the boiler to
      power it. NWSL makes quite a few idler gears and worms to choose from and
      I had them make several more custom gears for me for special installations.
      The challenge is engineering the mounting for the bearings for the
      idler gear shaft. I figure 10 to 20 hours of machine shop time would fix
      one locomotive but have not figured a way of reducing the time to produce
      each unit so have not tried to produce these kits.
      It is so much easier to just buy a later model that has the drive in
      the loco. The Westside C-16, T-12, later SP 4-6-0s, SP & NCNG 2-8-0, all
      the D&RGW K's by Westside and PFM, Balboa C-19 and T-12, Key D&RGW C-17, 18,
      19 and C&S 2-6-0 and 2-8-0s, PSC RGS 4-6-0's, Hallmark EBT 2-8-2, and
      Lambert C&S 2-6-0 all have cab drive. Then you have a hollow tender for the
      sound.
      It is kind of like wanting to convert a 1959 Chevrolet into a
      modern high tech Mercedes with GPS, CD player and all the modern features. It
      is easiest to just buy the Mercedes or continue driving the Chevrolet, you
      can add a good motor to the tender, just not a motor and sound.
      LocoDoc

      In a message dated 4/22/2013 5:02:37 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
      dtrimble@... writes:

      Guys,

      I was just given a basket case SP#9 (PFM/United, ca 1970). It has
      everything but the tender motor.

      Loco Doc says there's not enough space in tender to do much with his
      tender drive. To add sound, I'll need to convert it to add a motor in the
      engine.

      Has anyone tried this? Suggestions on how to proceed?

      Thanks,

      Dave