Re: [HOn3] Tender drives

  • JOHN SPRATLEY
    Message 1 of 61 , Apr 8, 2013
      Hi Guys, I`ve not found Tender Tipping to be a problem on my Spatrans and other Brass Locos
      with such drives. Main thing is, to have a strong Spring on the front bolster screw, that allows the truck to swivle but not rock. This also ensures good electrical contact, though I use a little Peco Electrolube too. Spartan trucks have equalized frames wich should cope with slight track irregularities. As has been said, as long as the loco chassis, and gearing is free running, there should be no problem, but another thing that can cause binding is lack of Float on the free part of the drive coupling. This needs a little end float, even when both worm and motor shafts are pushed to their closest positions, as on grade changes or sharper curves. All mine run well on Min18in curves, and #4 switches. Also I`ve not so far resorted to extra pick ups on insulated sides of locos or tenders, and as long as track is clean,
      the performance is good, even on an 8 hr Exhibition days running. Kind Regards
      John.therailtoad.
    • David
      Message 61 of 61 , Apr 10, 2013
        Thanks to all those who responded with my questions about "tender tipping". The ideas will be useful.

        David in Victoria, BC