Freight Houses

  • ngbobme
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 7, 2013
      Good Evening All,

      Does anyone have suggestions for plans or photos of a small Colorado (D&RGW/C&S/RGS etc.)freight house? I am putting together a small (2x4'+/-)Hon3 switching layout and I need a structure to complement a model of the Allison, CO station that I just finished for the next HOn3 Annual. I have a pretty good selection of NG books if there's anything that someone knows might be in them (I haven't really looked hard yet). I've checked Hart Corbett's Narrow Gauge memories but there doesn't appear to be anything there. I suppose that I could just go with a house track, but I'd really like to include a building to take care of one car or so. Any assistance will be appreciated.

      Best, Bob Bennett
    • Duncan Harvey
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 7, 2013
        Bob,

        Wild West Model Builders has a small freight house kit available.
        It is patterned after one Harry Brunk built for Black Hawk on his layout
        and is patterned after one that actually existed in Black Hawk. Then
        Banta has one they call the Red Mountain Freight House. Hope these are
        of some help!
        Duncan
      • fergo48
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 7, 2013
          Bob

          The NG&SLG in the late 1980's or early 90's had plans for the warehouse that still exists at Chama. Unfortunately I don't have the issue details, but it had spur to a loading platform and could be what you are looking for.

          Cheers Paul
        • jameshoff01
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 8, 2013
            mike Blazek has plans for the freight houses that were located in Chama. Jim
          • weswhite561
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 8, 2013
              Hi Bob,

              Since I know nothing of what the Allison station looked like, let alone size, tried a google image search, but got nothing. Just in case it is a rather small staion, I know Trout Creek's Classic Miniature line:
              http://www.troutcreekeng.com/cmho.html

              has a very small freight station (based on the equally small DSP&P's Mt. Princeton passenger station):
              38925 Small Freight House

              Slightly larger stations are also available:
              39001A Colorado Midland Baggage House - Manitou
              There are several more variations available.

              Poke around the bottom half of the page to see the pictures of the kits. The pictures might be enough for you to draw up plans more to your needs .. or perhaps the kits themselves might be an easier approach.

              Wes White
              Maplewood, NJ

              From: ngbobme <ngbobme@...> [Add to Address Book]
              Date: Apr 7, 2013 7:16 PM

              Does anyone have suggestions for plans or photos of a small Colorado (D&RGW/C&S/RGS etc.)freight house? I am putting together a small (2x4'+/-)Hon3 switching layout and I need a structure to complement a model of the Allison, CO station
              ><
              but I'd really like to include a building to take care of one car or so.

              Best, Bob Bennett
            • Mark
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 8, 2013
                > model of the Allison, CO station
                > ><
                > but I'd really like to include a building to take care of one car or so.

                Bob,

                The thing is that most stations on the D&RGW, let alone the very small ones like Allison, had integral freight areas, only the biggest like Durango had the volume of freight passing through that would require a seperate area. My suggestion is to use the design for Pagosa Junction depot and extend the freight area into the waiting room. It's was very utilitarian building, log cabin style and looked more like a freight facility than passenger.

                Mark K
              • Clifford A. Mestel
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 8, 2013
                  Hi Mr. Bennett;

                  Check our website: troutcreekeng.com and look under Classic Miniatures HO
                  or CMHO for the small freight house, #38925. The current price is$26.00
                  plus shipping.

                  Clifford A. Mestel
                  Classic Miniatures
                • dickbell43
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 8, 2013
                    Hi All,

                    I will post several photos of a warehouse adjacent to the Allison siding. They will be in my folder titled Dick Bell.