RE: [HOn3] Re: Blackstone engines

  • Doug Cummings
    Message 1 of 61 , Apr 3, 2013
      This subject has been discussed to death and reappears every few months. It
      costs a lot of money to put a model into production and they have to sell
      enough to break even to make it worth while. That limits what is likely to
      come on the market. If you want some of those rarer items you will have to
      buy existing models on the used market - many are available in brass - or
      scratch build one or have someone custom build one for you. Blackstone has
      done several surveys to test the market potential of various models and I
      think they have as much as said that the only two locomotive models that
      have any real sales potential to justify making at this time are the K28 and
      the K36, not necessarily in that order.

      They have to make hundreds, if not thousands, of models in composite to
      break even. You can do brass models and break even with much lower runs. But
      the brass models will cost much more than the composite ones. So any
      manufacturer has to be realistic, and we the buyers have to be realistic as
      well. There is lots of stuff we would all like to see, but the chances are
      slim we ever will.

      Doug

      Message 61 of 61 , Apr 10, 2013
        Thanks to all those who responded with my questions about "tender tipping". The ideas will be useful.

        David in Victoria, BC