Re: [HOn3] Railline flat car.

  • Rio Grande Ltd
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 2 1:23 PM
      you might want to get a Rio Grande Models idler flat for either the pile driver OB or derrick IO. both are 6000 flats.
      #3025 comes with Black stone trucks.

      eric

      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 2 6:28 PM
        Thanks Jim, John and others.

        I was looking for a cheaper way to get flat cars. Blackstone flats are getting harder to come by. I was curious if it could be done, having not seen one of the Rail Line kits in person.

        I like the idea of using a Rail Line box or stock car kit as a start for a bash.
        I want to have several flats with fresh cut lumber on them, such as seen on the southern end of the RGS.
      • Richard Brennan
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 3 3:31 PM
          At 06:28 PM 4/2/2013, Jeff wrote:
          <snip>
          >I was looking for a cheaper way to get flat cars. Blackstone flats
          >are getting harder to come by.

          Micro-Trains HOn3 flats???
          Could be less (in terms of both model and cost) than a Grandt kit...
          but I hear rumors their production is fading away. YMMV

          --------------------
          Richard Brennan - San Leandro CA
          --------------------
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 3 3:45 PM
            Jeff -

            Using a boxcar or a stock car as the start for a flat car is still a lot
            more work than simply scratch building a flat car from the beginning.
            Flat cars are about as simple as it gets. You could build them 4 or 6
            at a time. My article in the 2012 HOn3 Annual shows the basics of
            scratch building a flat car. The 34' cars in my article were oddballs,
            but the basics, the book references, and the Grandt Line part numbers
            are all applicable to scratch building more common flat cars.

            Jim Vail

            > I was looking for a cheaper way to get flat cars.
            >
            > I like the idea of using a Rail Line box or stock car kit as a start
            > for a bash.

          • Jeff
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 4 8:06 PM
              Thanks to all.

              Now for some background. I wanted to ask because I had not seen a Rail Line flat kit my self, and I was not sure how different a 6000 series was from a 6700. I have a copy of the "Century plus 10" book but I loaned it to a friend so I could not look it up.

              Today I went to my friends and looked at the book. He also had a Rail Line flat kit. Now I can see the difference. Had i known that the 6700 were built from box and stock cars I would have thought different. How ever after looking at the RL kit next to my BS 6000 flat I can see that the RL kit is slightly wider. To me It would seem that I could build a close replica of a 6000 flat, it would just be about 6"-7" to wide.

              How ever I Agree that to do it right I will just have to build one myself.
              Jim Thank you, I forgot I had the HOn3 annual with your article on your flat car build. I read it today, and I think Ill go the way you did. But I will be building 6000 flats.
              Question did you use bass wood?
              Also if you built one to run without a load how would you way it down?
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 5 12:31 AM
                Jeff -
                Yes, I used basswood for those flat cars - just seemed to be what I was
                "into" at the moment. Certainly using dimensional styrene pieces for
                the frame would also be very viable - but I personally would still use
                wood for the deck - it can be distressed and realistically weathered so
                much easier.

                And the big question - how to weight an unloaded flat car - the big
                problem no matter what materials you are building width. I've had the
                best luck starting with a 1/16" flat piece of K&S brass and building the
                frame and deck around it. Of course the floor assembly will be thicker
                than the prototype and I have ignored that by using thinner than
                prototype center and intermediate beams. I did an article on these flat
                cars way back in the Gazette and it may be the May/June 1988 issue. (I
                haven't verified that by looking at my old issue.) The web site I use
                to look up old Gazette article listings is
                http://www.wisemanmodelservices.com/gazette/
                (The list said On3 flat cars but I think that's the one!) You should be
                able to get an old issue from a dealer or possibly from benchmark Publishing

                So, good luck on your cars and let me know if you need any more info.

                Jim Vail