Re: [HOn3] Headlamp no longer working on my C-16/DCC problem?

  • roundbellrr
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 30, 2013
      If you shorted either bulb lead to either the loco or tender, maybe the
      insulator on a wire got cut by edge of a hole it will blow the lighting
      transistor. As said before the back up circuit can be used to power it with some
      CV resets but make sure you eliminate the short first. AFTER you blow the
      back-up transistor you will have to use a TCS accessory decoder to power the
      headlight.
      16 volt bulbs tend to draw a lot of current. 1.5 volt 15 Ma lamps
      are much better and LEDs better yet. LocoDoc

      In a message dated 3/29/2013 8:47:31 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
      akacoot@... writes:

      > I have a WSM C-16 which I added a Tsunami sound C-16 decoder to. I
      > used a 16V bulb for the headlight. All has been fine for a long while
      > now but the light just recently stopped working. I checked the bulb
      > thinking it was burned out but that's not the case. The bulb is fine.
      > When I apply an independent 12v to the bulb leads it lights up.

    • Mark
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 30, 2013
        --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, RoundBell@... wrote:
        > but make sure you eliminate the short first. AFTER you blow the
        > back-up transistor you will have to use a TCS accessory decoder to power the
        > headlight.

        As the sign over a machine we had at work stated 'Do not look into lazer with remaining eye'.

        The only thing the TCS decoder won't give you is the ramp up and down on start up and finish but the cure is half the price of a Tsunami repair which is currently $45 I believe. The other way, and I know space is critical, is to use an old motor decoder, solder a 100ohm resistor across the orange and grey wires and set all the speed curve settings to zero. Set the ID to the same as the loco. If you're not going to program the motor decoder you can even remove the resistor after you've made all the CV changes.

        Mark K
      • Jeffrey J. Brundt
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 31, 2013
          The 16v bulbs are 30mA max. I saw the 100mA max draw in the Tsunami manual that came with the decoder.

          I checked for other shorts but all wires are good and the insulation is intact. I have yet to try the back up light (yellow) wire. What CV's would need to be adjusted/re-programmed to make the back-up light the headlight?

           I'm familiar with the lower voltage bulbs and resistors however, when I did the conversion all I had on hand at the time were 16V bulbs. At this point getting the bulb out and wires re-routed with a lower voltage bulb really isn't worth the time and effort (it would involve some major surgery). I can live with it as is for the time being.

          Thanks for all the replies. It sort of confirmed what I initially thought.

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 31, 2013
            CV33=66
            CV34=64