Re: [HOn3] Headlamp no longer working on my C-16/DCC problem?

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 29 6:47 PM
      Each lighting output from the tsunami is good for 100 milliamps max.
      The headlight output might be blown - possibly the bulb was pulling too
      many amps. If you have not used the backup light output (yellow wire)
      you could use that for the headlight - but I would check the current
      draw of your setup first. In my locos I use a 1.5 volt bulb with a
      suitable resistor. Many of my headlight bulbs have been working for years.

      Jim Vail

      > I have a head scratcher here.....
      >
      > I have a WSM C-16 which I added a Tsunami sound C-16 decoder to. I
      > used a 16V bulb for the headlight. All has been fine for a long while
      > now but the light just recently stopped working. I checked the bulb
      > thinking it was burned out but that's not the case. The bulb is fine.
      > When I apply an independent 12v to the bulb leads it lights up.
      >
      > I'm using a Digitrax Super Chief DCC system and the default headlight
      > button has always worked in the past on this and all my other locos.
      > When I turn the lights on and off the generator sound
      > activates/deactivates....just no more light. No other problems with
      > the loco. Runs fine, all sounds work just no more light.
      >
      > Any ideas or do I need to send the decoder back to Blackstone?

    • roundbellrr
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 30 1:50 AM
        If you shorted either bulb lead to either the loco or tender, maybe the
        insulator on a wire got cut by edge of a hole it will blow the lighting
        transistor. As said before the back up circuit can be used to power it with some
        CV resets but make sure you eliminate the short first. AFTER you blow the
        back-up transistor you will have to use a TCS accessory decoder to power the
        headlight.
        16 volt bulbs tend to draw a lot of current. 1.5 volt 15 Ma lamps
        are much better and LEDs better yet. LocoDoc

        In a message dated 3/29/2013 8:47:31 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
        akacoot@... writes:

        > I have a WSM C-16 which I added a Tsunami sound C-16 decoder to. I
        > used a 16V bulb for the headlight. All has been fine for a long while
        > now but the light just recently stopped working. I checked the bulb
        > thinking it was burned out but that's not the case. The bulb is fine.
        > When I apply an independent 12v to the bulb leads it lights up.

      • Mark
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 30 9:32 AM
          --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, RoundBell@... wrote:
          > but make sure you eliminate the short first. AFTER you blow the
          > back-up transistor you will have to use a TCS accessory decoder to power the
          > headlight.

          As the sign over a machine we had at work stated 'Do not look into lazer with remaining eye'.

          The only thing the TCS decoder won't give you is the ramp up and down on start up and finish but the cure is half the price of a Tsunami repair which is currently $45 I believe. The other way, and I know space is critical, is to use an old motor decoder, solder a 100ohm resistor across the orange and grey wires and set all the speed curve settings to zero. Set the ID to the same as the loco. If you're not going to program the motor decoder you can even remove the resistor after you've made all the CV changes.

          Mark K
        • Jeffrey J. Brundt
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 31 3:53 PM
            The 16v bulbs are 30mA max. I saw the 100mA max draw in the Tsunami manual that came with the decoder.

            I checked for other shorts but all wires are good and the insulation is intact. I have yet to try the back up light (yellow) wire. What CV's would need to be adjusted/re-programmed to make the back-up light the headlight?

             I'm familiar with the lower voltage bulbs and resistors however, when I did the conversion all I had on hand at the time were 16V bulbs. At this point getting the bulb out and wires re-routed with a lower voltage bulb really isn't worth the time and effort (it would involve some major surgery). I can live with it as is for the time being.

            Thanks for all the replies. It sort of confirmed what I initially thought.

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 31 4:04 PM
              CV33=66
              CV34=64