Re: Disappointing Blackstone factory weathering

  • Ray
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 28, 2013
      I noticed B.T.S. has a Shay shell that is meant to represent a junked loco for a reasonable price. This would be a great first weathering project. It's in their ad in the new NG&SL Gazette.
      Ray

      --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "Mark" <marowicz@...> wrote:

      > Steve,
      >
      > Thank you for putting the record re locos straight. I've had the pleasure of attending your clinics on the use of chalks in places other than locos. Like Jim I too have gone down this route and while I cannot hang a candle to your results, I am at the very least inspited. I thsnk you for that. I too would like to hear Tony's take on this.
      >
      > Mark K
      >
      > > Mark and Jim,
      > > Thanks for your kind words, but most of my locos were weathered by Jerry Jackson who is a real artist at weathering locos and does it professionally.
      > > Steve Harris

    • Robert
      Message 2 of 22 , Apr 3, 2013
        It has been very interesting to see the reactions my complaint has elicited. In most cases, certainly not very helpful for my specific situation, I'm afraid. Like I'd have liked to get reactions about what others' model looks like. Thus allowing me to judge whether mine is way off the present standard. Unfortunately, not a single such statement one way or another.

        Thus, my question is, do those who bought a weathered BS RGS 455
        not participate here?

        Meanwhile, I had some correspondence with Blackstone. And from the info I received, the present (second) run of this weathered post wreck model did not get a decent weathering on the engine. Well, it was called lightly weathered, but one needs to search for traces, as far as I'm concerned, unlike on the tender. Anyway, I was told all their models they still had looked that way. Thus any exchange would not improve the situation.

        I don't presume they opened all the boxes, so I think the statement only concerned those models that they had in the open. At any rate, there must then be a very considerable difference between the first and second run of this model. This might be of interest to anyone who is looking for this model. Make sure the picture you see is of the actual model that is being offered. Unless, of course, you are lucky enough to live sufficiently close to a seller that you can actually go and look at the item.

        Robert

        --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rkfurrer@...> wrote:

        ..............weathered version of the post-wreck RGS #455 ...........>
        > Well, having received it now, I must say that I am utterly
        > disappointed! This is essentially just an unweathered engine that has the white numbers/letters replaced by gray ones. No major change in the remainder of this model's appearance ....... The pictures of this Blackstone model I have found on the internet and stored on my computer look very much different. .............>
        > I posted a series of photos in an album in the Photos section.
        >
        >.....................................>
      • jc
        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 3, 2013
          Robert, Weathering is art and an impression. "Beauty is in the eye of the
          beholder", or "One man's trash is another man's treasure".
          Many modelers who have models weathered by BS are happy with the results,
          and have no quarrels. Also, I've seen many layout with nothing but BS
          weathered models, and because there is a certain uniformity, it creates an
          outstanding appearance.
          People purchase weathered models because they're intending to create an
          impression of age on their layout. The fact you don't approve of the
          weathering is just "Personal preference", and your entitled to it, but I'm
          not quite sure what you're looking for from the group....

          Juan Carlos Zuloaga
          Broker
          Pacific Coast Home Finance Inc
          DRE Lic: 00913091/01846184
          NMLS: 246282/1009051
          Office: 888-503-6854 Ext 700
          Cell: 213-507-7216
          Fax: 714-701-0813

          The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or
          confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the
          message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message
          in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please
          be aware that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving
          and review by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.

          It has been very interesting to see the reactions my complaint has elicited.
          In most cases, certainly not very helpful for my specific situation, I'm
          afraid. Like I'd have liked to get reactions about what others' model looks
          like. Thus allowing me to judge whether mine is way off the present
          standard. Unfortunately, not a single such statement one way or another.

          Thus, my question is, do those who bought a weathered BS RGS 455 not
          participate here?

          Meanwhile, I had some correspondence with Blackstone. And from the info I
          received, the present (second) run of this weathered post wreck model did
          not get a decent weathering on the engine. Well, it was called lightly
          weathered, but one needs to search for traces, as far as I'm concerned,
          unlike on the tender. Anyway, I was told all their models they still had
          looked that way. Thus any exchange would not improve the situation.

          I don't presume they opened all the boxes, so I think the statement only
          concerned those models that they had in the open. At any rate, there must
          then be a very considerable difference between the first and second run of
          this model. This might be of interest to anyone who is looking for this
          model. Make sure the picture you see is of the actual model that is being
          offered. Unless, of course, you are lucky enough to live sufficiently close
          to a seller that you can actually go and look at the item.

          Robert

          --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rkfurrer@...> wrote:

          ..............weathered version of the post-wreck RGS #455 ...........>
          > Well, having received it now, I must say that I am utterly
          > disappointed! This is essentially just an unweathered engine that has
          > the white numbers/letters replaced by gray ones. No major change in the
          remainder of this model's appearance ....... The pictures of this Blackstone
          model I have found on the internet and stored on my computer look very much
          different. .............> I posted a series of photos in an album in the
          Photos section.

          >.....................................>

        • Robert
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 3, 2013
            JC, I'm afraid you did not get my point at all. In my original post, I was praising Blackstone's weathering. And I was complaining that my most recently purchased model did not fit into those very high Blackstone standards.

            Robert

            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 3, 2013
              Robert -

              The perception of the amount of weathering on a model is a subjective
              thing. What to one modeler is "not enough" weathering may be "too much"
              weathering to another modeler and "just right" to a third modeler. If
              you are not a modeler and just buying a model then you should inspect
              your anticipated purchase before you consummate the deal. I'm really
              tired of your complaining on this list. I know for a fact that several
              folks at Blackstone did look at a selection of weathered locomotives in
              their warehouse specifically because of your complaint - the first they
              have received on this matter. If you are not satisfied with the
              weathering on your model then weather it some more yourself, contract
              with someone else to weather it some more, or get rid of it and move on.

              Jim Vail

              > It has been very interesting to see the reactions my complaint has
              > elicited. In most cases, certainly not very helpful for my specific
              > situation, I'm afraid. Like I'd have liked to get reactions about what
              > others' model looks like. Thus allowing me to judge whether mine is
              > way off the present standard. Unfortunately, not a single such
              > statement one way or another.
              >
              > Thus, my question is, do those who bought a weathered BS RGS 455
              > not participate here?
              >
              > Meanwhile, I had some correspondence with Blackstone. And from the
              > info I received, the present (second) run of this weathered post wreck
              > model did not get a decent weathering on the engine. Well, it was
              > called lightly weathered, but one needs to search for traces, as far
              > as I'm concerned, unlike on the tender. Anyway, I was told all their
              > models they still had looked that way. Thus any exchange would not
              > improve the situation.
              >
              > I don't presume they opened all the boxes, so I think the statement
              > only concerned those models that they had in the open. At any rate,
              > there must then be a very considerable difference between the first
              > and second run of this model. This might be of interest to anyone who
              > is looking for this model. Make sure the picture you see is of the
              > actual model that is being offered. Unless, of course, you are lucky
              > enough to live sufficiently close to a seller that you can actually go
              > and look at the item.
              >
              > Robert

            • Robert
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 3, 2013
                Jim,

                I am sorry to say that I am not in your comfortable situation, and thus am more interested to be able to buy a weathered model unseen. And I would like to repeat that my posts did not criticize Blackstone as a whole. From the quality they are delivering, it is no problem for them to deal with some occasional problem.

                I also think they do not need others to speak for them. I had some very good communication with them directly. But before I wanted to do that, I had hoped to get some opinions from others who own the same model. Not one of the commenting contributors here mentioned that he had a similar one. And I hope I have made it sufficiently clear that I very much like the weathering they are providing. It is just that this particular case does not fit in with what I am used to see from them.

                I'll certainly have to do some weathering on this model. But I need to find the time and most of all the patience to do it. As others have said, weathering is an art, and I'm not one who can do it quickly. Also, as a modeler, I have other priorities than doing my own weathering. And having someone else do it here in Switzerland with our high salaries would simply make the hobby unaffordable for me.

                Robert

                --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Jim Vail <akacoot@...> wrote:

                > .......you should inspect
                > your anticipated purchase before you consummate the deal.
              • lloyd lehrer
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 3, 2013
                  Thanks Jim, apparently the moderator has an interesting perception of
                  acceptable items. the first four or five were way to many.

                  On Wed, Apr 3, 2013 at 10:48 AM, Jim Vail <akacoot@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Robert -
                  >
                  > The perception of the amount of weathering on a model is a subjective
                  > thing. What to one modeler is "not enough" weathering may be "too much"
                  > weathering to another modeler and "just right" to a third modeler. If
                  > you are not a modeler and just buying a model then you should inspect
                  > your anticipated purchase before you consummate the deal. I'm really
                  > tired of your complaining on this list. I know for a fact that several
                  > folks at Blackstone did look at a selection of weathered locomotives in
                  > their warehouse specifically because of your complaint - the first they
                  > have received on this matter. If you are not satisfied with the
                  > weathering on your model then weather it some more yourself, contract
                  > with someone else to weather it some more, or get rid of it and move on.
                  >
                  > Jim Vail
                  > >
                  > > It has been very interesting to see the reactions my complaint has
                  > > elicited. In most cases, certainly not very helpful for my specific
                  > > situation, I'm afraid. Like I'd have liked to get reactions about what
                  > > others' model looks like. Thus allowing me to judge whether mine is
                  > > way off the present standard. Unfortunately, not a single such
                  > > statement one way or another.
                  > >
                  > > Thus, my question is, do those who bought a weathered BS RGS 455
                  > > not participate here?
                  > >
                  > > Meanwhile, I had some correspondence with Blackstone. And from the
                  > > info I received, the present (second) run of this weathered post wreck
                  > > model did not get a decent weathering on the engine. Well, it was
                  > > called lightly weathered, but one needs to search for traces, as far
                  > > as I'm concerned, unlike on the tender. Anyway, I was told all their
                  > > models they still had looked that way. Thus any exchange would not
                  > > improve the situation.
                  > >
                  > > I don't presume they opened all the boxes, so I think the statement
                  > > only concerned those models that they had in the open. At any rate,
                  > > there must then be a very considerable difference between the first
                  > > and second run of this model. This might be of interest to anyone who
                  > > is looking for this model. Make sure the picture you see is of the
                  > > actual model that is being offered. Unless, of course, you are lucky
                  > > enough to live sufficiently close to a seller that you can actually go
                  > > and look at the item.
                  > >
                  > > Robert

                  lloyd 310 951-9097

                • David Barron
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 3, 2013
                    Robert
                    I believe that weathering is added once all has been assembled and done with
                    an airbrush. The same person does not do all the weathering on every model
                    so there are subtle differences even between the same person's weathering.
                    Then there are definitely differences between airbrush persons applications.
                    My suggestion would be to buy an airbrush, buy non-weathered locomotives and
                    weather them yourself and to you likings. There are plenty of books on how
                    to use airbrushes and I am sure even video's on line. The important thing
                    to remember is weathering is not the same on every structure, vehicle, RR
                    car, or locomotive so differences are fully acceptable and logical. If you
                    like them more weathered then you can do it and be happier. Besides
                    airbrushing is fun to do.
                    Dave
                    JC, I'm afraid you did not get my point at all. In my original post, I was
                    praising Blackstone's weathering. And I was complaining that my most
                    recently purchased model did not fit into those very high Blackstone
                    standards.

                    Robert

                    --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "jc" <zul36@...> wrote:
                    >>......> People purchase weathered models because they're intending to
                    create an
                    > impression of age on their layout. The fact you don't approve of the
                    > weathering is just "Personal preference", .............>
                  • Phil Floyd
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 3, 2013
                      Robert,

                      In all cases, regardless of whether the 2nd run is weathered 'as well' or 'the same as' the 1st run or whether the tender is more weathered than the engine or whether Blackstone opened all the boxes..., you could have sat down with some Bragdon , Uncle Ben's or other's chalks and without any experience at all, weathered 10 engines, including the aforementioned 'problem child' in the time it has taken to read this complete thread. If you can use an air brush, you could easily have airbrushed any paint makers dirt, mud and dust concoctions on the engines before finishing with chalks. In fact, you could have watched a  number of weathering DVD's, airbrushed and used chalks on all 10 engines in the time this thread has taken to read...

                      Weathering, be it factory or not is generally done by hand and always overviewed by the humans doing it...as Jim stated...it is always a subjective job by the weatherer. Can different runs be weathered differently? Absolutely! And...different runs may not have the same person doing or overseeing the process. Did every engine or ? look weathered the same in real life? I...think...not!!! Like it or not, the weathering you received is what it is...reality check...IT IS WHAT IT IS....send it back, change it yourself or hire someone to do it...or enjoy the models operation...choose one...p l e a s e...

                      Regards,

                      Phil Floyd

                      "The Shay Fixer"
                      at: http://www.shayfixer.com/index.htm

                      Also, check out...

                      "Testtraxx"... the stationary locomotive test/trackstand

                      --- In mailto:HOn3%40yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rkfurrer@...> wrote:

                      ..............weathered version of the post-wreck RGS #455 ...........>
                      > Well, having received it now, I must say that I am utterly
                      > disappointed! This is essentially just an unweathered engine that has the white numbers/letters replaced by gray ones. No major change in the remainder of this model's appearance ....... The pictures of this Blackstone model I have found on the internet and stored on my computer look very much different. .............>
                      > I posted a series of photos in an album in the Photos section.
                      >
                      >.....................................>

                    • David Nitsch
                      Message 10 of 22 , Apr 3, 2013
                        Message 11 of 22 , Apr 3, 2013
                          Robert,
                          This is not Consumer Reports. Suck it up and weather the model as you want it to be. We don't need whining here.

                          Message 12 of 22 , Apr 3, 2013
                            Robert-I did understand you liked BS weathering. I can also agree the model
                            does not have much weathering, and the light to almost no weathering just
                            doesn't not appeal to you.

                            My earlier comments were based on friends who models a specific era's, and
                            only buys the engines that were running on a specific date. As I said
                            earlier, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder". This engine would be
                            perfect for someone modeling the era of 1947 right after the engine was
                            rebuilt. The rest of the motive power would be dirty, but since this engine
                            is freshly shopped it would be pretty clean.

                            My early point, it's not quite necessary for all the models to be heavy
                            weathered....But it's a personal preference.
                            I can only recommend you should sell or trade the model for one with
                            weathering that appeals to you.
                            jc