Re: [HOn3] Re: Ore Bin Size ? vulturenest1

  • kjb80401
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 26, 2013
      From what I could understand from the model photos, the bin size reminds me
      of the bins at Vance Junction. The desired size of the bins would be
      dependent on its intended use and quantity of material to be handled there.

      Keevan

      In a message dated 3/26/2013 12:00:29 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
      hatch@... writes:

      That is about the right size, though I think if you include the angled
      part of
      the Ben you make it about a third more volume.

      And I have seen a number of bins of that size, but also several bins that
      size
      hooked up together in a larger bank. I have seen some photos bins That
      are half
      again or twice as deep.

      So, as John states, if you want a small mine this is about right. If you
      want a
      larger mine, get another kit and build the side-to-side, and/or add another
      "story" to this bin. If it were mine, I would probably do both.

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 26, 2013
        Oh, not even close.  the vance Junction bins are much smaller than the prototype of the BiS bin would be.

        Mike Conder

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 26, 2013
          On 03/26/2013 04:35 AM, Keevan, Kjb80401@... wrote:
          > From what I could understand from the model photos, the bin size reminds me
          > of the bins at Vance Junction. The desired size of the bins would be
          > dependent on its intended use and quantity of material to be handled there.

          The Vance Junction bins are conventional locomotive coaling pockets of the circa
          1890-1910 period. I believe they are of the Clifton pocket design, same as was
          used at Chama and several other locations in that time frame. These and similar
          pockets were designed to hold from 2 to 10 tons of coal, and to dump their
          entire contents when opened. The Maxwell Collection used to offer a circa 1895
          drawing of the generic type, I believe taken from Engineering News. The C&NW
          historical society sell two books on C&NW & CStP&O engine facilities, and one
          covers several variations on this kind of locomotive coal pocket in great detail.