Re: drop bottom gondola

  • bolsen187@frontier.com
    Message 1 of 56 , Mar 18, 2013
      Having trouble figuring out where the men would stand to shovel. I see the car and a concrete wall to the left. I assume the pit is to the left of the wall and that the ashes and cinders were dumped between the rails through the ties. Would there be an opening in the concrete wall and is there enough space between the wall and the car for a man to stand?
      Blayne

      --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Day" <jerry474@...> wrote:

      > I shot this photo of a drop bottom at the Chama cinder pit in April of 1971 before there was a C&TS. The cinders were shoveled into the car by hand and taken out on the line to be used as ballast.
      >
      > Jerry Day

    • Rick Blanchard
      Message 56 of 56 , Mar 20, 2013
        I have more photos of the ash pit at Chama before it got
        'modernized', but I vaguely recall that the previous one was also an
        upgrade from years before. My photos are from 2000+ something and I'd
        have to dig around to find them. I'll look if there are modelers that
        need some shots of it empty and some with a loco on it.

        Rick