Re: heisler truck noise

  • Jason Reis
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 9, 2013
      sounds like a gear mesh problem. I'd try lapping them with some toothpaste on the gears for and then run upside down the engine for an hour. rinse off the toothpaste and see if you still get the noise. may take 2 or 3 times to get it just right.

      Jason
    • tjbrugman
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 9, 2013
        Alan:

        Some people run toothpaste through the gear train to wear-in the gear surfaces.
        I prefer mixing a liquid paste of jewelers rouge (dremel) and labelle light oil and running that through the gears both on your bench, and then around the layout after the gears stop spitting the abrasive. Run about 30 minutes and then completely disassemble the mechanism to clean out every trace of rouge. Very important to clean thoroughly and the relube.

        This should improve the noise problem.

        Tom Brugman
      • Alan Kilby
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 9, 2013
           I took another look at the mechanism and noticed the front drive shaft had no forward and back movement in cups,the cups were loose on both  the truck and gear box end shafts and had slid off shafts toward each other eliminating driveline movement,I am going to build new driveline with NWSL universals,(I could probably acc them to shafts but not knowing amount of damage in cups prefer replacement),I have some 1.5mm shafting balls and cups for truck and gearbox ends,I had to bore the hole where cup is recessed in truck slightly for cleance,nwsl cups are larger dia. than originals.I also want to add an additional lead from truck screw to motor on insulated truck while I have shell off it,will want this for decoder install anyhow.
            Will see if noise changes after driveline replacement,If need be nwsl makes a better/slower ratio of gears for this loco I may want to do this later,will see how speed is after it has some run time on it.The truck gears look rather primitive(worm and worm shaft gear teeth are not sharp)
             There is a little side play in crankshaft also.
                                 Alan

        • ebt18
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 10, 2013
            I haven't tried jeweler's rouge, but years ago, as a ham radio operator in the 1950s, we used to grind crystals to raise the frequency by rubbing them with toothpaste on a sheet of glass. Toothpaste is a pretty good abrasive for some applications.

            Russ Norris