PSC Tank Kit

  • Kakoa
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 3, 2013
      Hello again,
      Ever since I finished my flanger kit, i've been itching to build something else. After hemming and hawing over possible purchases I remembered i've got an old PSC tank kit I could build. Its the #10650, not the #10648 for those interested. So it comes with some brass details and brass trucks. I've never built brass trucks before so before I even start them, are they even worth it? Or should I invest in some other trucks? Obviously the mounting hole might not be the right size, or the car might sit on the trucks weird, etc. But i'm guessing a few people here have done one or two in the past and may be able to help me avoid a calamity. Also while i'm here, whats a good black to use, as well as what couplers would work well?

      Anyways, thanks for your help,
      Kakoa Louis
    • Bruce Dunlevy
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 3, 2013
        Kakoa,

        You could build the brass trucks and see how they operate. If they don't
        operate to your satisfaction, you could use the PSC plastic trucks or you
        could use the trucks for the narrow frame tank car from Blackstone. These
        are P/N B370109. I have purchased these trucks as I am going to
        scratchbuild some 6200 series flat cars and these look to be the right
        trucks for these cars.

        Bruce Dunlevy

      • magickombi67
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 4, 2013
          --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "Kakoa" <KakoaLouis@...> wrote:

          Kakoa,
          I just assembled a PSC kit PK-606, which isn't the same kit, but it is also HOn3 and has the brass details and trucks. In my kit, I was short one axle so I only assembled one truck. The trucks themselves are beautiful, highly detailed castings and fairly easy to assemble by simply spreading the bottom of the truck bolster and sliding the sideframe up into it and then squeezing the bolster shut almost all the way. I was able to get it to leave just enough slop to keep the truck from being rigid so it could equalize somewhat over rough track. However, the wheelsets come with pointed axles where the points are too blunt to work well in the holes in the sideframe journals. The bearing area ends up being all around the base of the cone rather then the needlepoint end. I replaced the trucks on mine with some Grandt Line Andrews trucks which aren't correct but are close enough for my freelanced railroad. One might also find some different wheelsets with either smaller axles or sharper points on the end to fit the PSC trucks. I believe this PSC truck problem may have come up in this group before, so a search of the archives may turn up more information.
          My narrow frame tank car kit was a bit of a challenge to get together, especially the four part tank. Just be careful how much you take off the edges to clean up the tank castings. Use a big, long, sharp mill file to straighten the edges and check your fit after every swipe or two across the file. I used thin superglue to fill in the cracks that I couldn't file out. I used scale sized Accumate couplers on mine, but Kadee #714's would also work fine. I have not yet painted mine, but was planning to use Polly Scale Steam Power Black. Gotta love the big, silver GRAMPS decals that came with my kit!
          Just take your time, do one step at a time, and you'll do fine.

          Christopher Bisset, Brass Hat
          PB&J Railroad (HO/HOn3 and now 2.5" scale)
          Baird, Texas, USA
        • Kakoa
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 5, 2013
            Thanks Chris.

            After messing with the truck parts i've decided that due to the flash and design, they're gonna be more work than they're worth to me. I have a few other half-built kits that have decent trucks so i think ill just cannibalize some of those. Also thanks to the guys who messaged me about it as well. I think I have a pretty good idea on how i'm gonna go about the rest of the kit now.

            Cheers,
            Kakoa Louis