Re: Decal idea--back to the drawing board!

  • ebt18
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 25, 2013
      I talked with the Blackstone folks at the Springfield, Massachusetts train show. Specifically, I wanted to change numbers on their EBT hopper cars, which I believe are also pad printed. One of the crew said that he simply uses a hobby knife to gently scrape off the numbers, and uses FEBT decals over the spot. I haven't tried it yet, but it does come directly from the Blackstone people.

      Russ
    • John Dowling
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
        Russ,

        I tried this a while back to change one digit on a boxcar. It got about 95% of it, and left a bit of a ghost. Nothing the new digit couldn't hide. Of course, just one digit is easier.

        John

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
          See Wikipedia's entries on "card scraper" and "hand scraper" for basic
          information on scraping tools and techniques. For removing HO scale lettering,
          try a scraper with about a 1/8"(3mm) wide cutting edge, curved on about a
          1-3"(25-76mm) radius arc. For suitable stock and stiffness, try an old Xacto
          blade cut back to project about 3/8"(9mm) from the handle.

          Its the hook on the cutting edge that does the job, allowing removal of about
          .001"(.025mm) layers. For general scraping, stamped knife and razor blades
          often have a suitable hook on their 'square' edges. But for decal scraping one
          really wants a curved cutting edge that won't gouge at the corners.

          John Stutz

          On 02/26/2013 06:18 AM, John Dowling wrote:
          > Russ,
          >
          > I tried this a while back to change one digit on a boxcar. It got about 95% of
          > it, and left a bit of a ghost. Nothing the new digit couldn't hide. Of course,
          > just one digit is easier.
          >
          > John
          >
          > --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com <mailto:HOn3%40yahoogroups.com>, "ebt18" wrote:
          > >
          > > I talked with the Blackstone folks at the Springfield, Massachusetts train
          > show. Specifically, I wanted to change numbers on their EBT hopper cars, which I
          > believe are also pad printed. One of the crew said that he simply uses a hobby
          > knife to gently scrape off the numbers, and uses FEBT decals over the spot. I
          > haven't tried it yet, but it does come directly from the Blackstone people.
          > >
          > > Russ
        • Hart Corbett
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 26, 2013
            I also tried it . . . . but with a variation that worked for me.

            Somehow, a few years ago, I ended up with 2 Blackstone cabooses which had identical lettering, including their numbers. Both were numbered 0540. I contacted my friend Jim Vail and he told me about his lacquer thinner method of dealing with Blackstone lettering.

            All I needed to do was to change the 40 part of the caboose numbers on one caboose. So I used a no. 11 blade in a hobby knife, dipped it slightly into lacquer thinner, and proceeded to work on each digit that was to be changed. A no 11 blade held vertically, or close to it, cannot hold much lacquer thinner, which was fine for my purpose. The thinner helped to loosen the digit slightly without a lot of scraping. I used just the point of the blade. The combination of a tiny amount of thinner and a sharp blade tip caused the digit to get loose in small pieces with slight scraping motion. I picked up each piece one by one with the blade tip just underneath the piece and immediately wiped it off on a piece of tissue which I had immediately handy. Takes a little patience but it's worth it.

            There was slight discoloration and damage where the digits had been but not a lot. I found that Thinfilm D&RG ng decals numbers matched very closely the style, size, and color of the Blackstone numbering. Using usual decal application techniques, I applied the new digits. A slight application of Bragdon weathering powder hid any remaining signs of damage after the decals were mounted and that was it.

            BTW, be sure to have ventilation when you work with things like lacquer thinner. In my case, I have a very little 110 volt fan close by that wafts the fumes away immediately, even before they reach my nose, towards an open window or door. The moving air also tends to dry out the area where I'm working. I do the same thing when doing close-up soldering. I sometimes use my paint booth but it's isolated from my workplace in another room.

            With best regards, Hart
            <<< Re: Decal idea--back to the drawing board!
            Posted by: "John Dowling" dwlngjohn@... dwlngjohn
            Date: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:18 am ((PST))

            Russ,