Re: ME Turnouts

  • robert.meckley
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2013
      Dennis and Pete:
      I had the same problem with the ME turnouts. The head blocks are too far apart which causes the throw bar to move back letting the points back out of the rail joiner pivots. This appears to be how they are assembled because I found a light return spring just behind the throw bar to hold the points tight. I used two spikes behind the throw bar to hold the points in place and still move. The spring must be wearing out or your switch machines are working against the spring.Looking at an ME turnout from underneath you can see this spring.
      One thing I found after replacing all my hidden turnouts was the ME turnouts are absolutely built to the NMRA specs. My PSC K28 stopped cold running over the first one. One of its drivers was too tight, yet it ran well on all my old Shinahora turnouts.

      Bob Meckley

      --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, dennis jackson wrote:

      > Looking at the same problem but mine are not powered with swithch motors. Also need solution.
      >
      > Dennis
      > Colorado Springs
      > On Jan 30, 2013, at 3:36 PM, Pete wrote:
      >
      > > Looking for a solution. And, I have no ideas.
      > >
      > > My turnouts are powered with switchmaster motors. However; over the past couple of weeks I have had six (6) sort of come apart. IE the points start slipping out of the joiners that lead to the frog.
      > >
      > > I can put them back in, but the last time was almost at the start of operations. And, it does take a little time, once derailed cars are collected.
      > >
      > > Has anyone else had this problem? Solution?
      > >
      > > Pete

    • dennis jackson
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2013
        Bob you are exactly right about the exactness of the frog. I have found several too tight and have had to file the frogs a bit. then the turnouts or I should say the engines perform very well with no problems. Thanks for the advice on the ME throw bar etc. I will try this.

        Dennis Jackson
      • hwcwsl
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2013
          Pete:

          I don't have any ready made ME turnouts. I've made my own always using ME rail, most often code 55. There are 65 of them so far and half are dual gauge. The layout is HO/HOn3. All frogs are powered. All turnouts are powered with Tortoises except for 15 which still use Switchmasters.

          My solution to points slipping out of rail joiners is to use very fine flexible stranded wire ( NWSL carries it ), cut it just long enough to remain flexible after applying solder to each end, and remove all insulation from the piece of wire. Solder one end to the base or the most inconspicuous side of the frog rail and then solder the other to the blunt end of the point rail. Do not have the wire tight but leave it slightly loose. Lets the rails swing easily. Yes, the point rails will slip out of the joiners slightly but only as far as the soldered wires will let them. Paint or Blacken It should hide the wires from snooping eyes!

          With best regards, Hart