Re: [HOn3] Re: resistance soldering

  • Mike Bauers
    Message 1 of 31 , Jan 2, 2013
      John,

      I've mentioned that over the years I have bought a 900-watt resistance solderer first for $5 in the late 70's and recently the same model for $45 as a complete package. (it has a bent knob, unbent ones sold for $90)

      If anyone is using a resistance solderer that is underpowered, they already have all the tools of the art in hand and simply need the larger power unit.

      Ebay sells the Luma 551 normally for $50 - $100. For many years you could google for this unit and find a surplus store that sold them in like new condition for $110.

      They are adjustable from very low power to the full 900 watts.

      You may have to look off and on for one via the Internet. But you will find one between $30 and $100.

      By all means, use that heavy iron to supplement an under powered resistance solderer. But next day or a couple of months from now you can have an affordable industrial level resistance solderer of a Luma 551, and retire your large iron to the back of a tool drawer.

      Please keep it in mind, and maybe look for one......

      Mike Bauers
      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jan 2, 2013, at 12:52 PM, John Stutz
      > Very true. Resistance units are at their best for putting heat precisely where
      > you want it on small to medium jobs. Bigger jobs may need a large iron, that .....

    • Michael Looney
      Message 31 of 31 , Jan 4, 2013
        Hart:
        Harbor freight has them on sell for $9.95 and it is bigger.

        Mike Looney