Re: [HOn3] Re:COMPARING SMALL MOTORS

  • snookdust@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2012
      The Mashimas are fine motors but are slower than the 1220 Sagami, thus not
      suitable for the old Kemtron 136/1 gearbox. The Faulhabers I've seen did
      not have suitable mounting holes. I still have 5 or 6 of the 136/1 gearboxes
      left and they are great for the c class engines. Bob Veefkind

      In a message dated 12/1/2012 1:25:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      RoundBell@... writes:

      has not been available for about 10 years. The Faulhaber 1319T77K See
      __http://locodoc.com/BellArmatureMotors.html__
      (http://locodoc.com/BellArmatureMotors.html_)

    • RoundBell@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2012
        I was responding to the comment that the "Sagami 1220 was the best motor
        for small locomotives". Only this one very rare Kemtron C-16 has a 136 / 1
        gearbox, all other models have about a 30 / 1 gear ratio and the Sagami 1220
        is way too fast and has a fast starting speed, slower motors are better
        for re-powering virtually all other small locos.
        Faulhaber motors do not have mounting holes but I have never found
        this a problem. Shoe Goo or any GOOP (sold in many versions such as Amazing
        Goop, Plumbers Goop, Auto Goop or E-6000 in craft stores) (Wall mart,
        Target, Home Depot etc.) glues the motor in place and positions it so securely
        the motor shaft will maintain perfect gear mesh. It looks like Silicone
        sealer but has much better grip and is much stiffer, it hardens about like a
        shoe sole. Try some, you will love it. LocoDoc

        In a message dated 12/1/2012 6:36:31 A.M. Central Standard Time,
        snookdust@... writes:

        The Mashimas are fine motors but are slower than the 1220 Sagami, thus not

        suitable for the old Kemtron 136/1 gearbox. The Faulhabers I've seen did
        not have suitable mounting holes. I still have 5 or 6 of the 136/1
        gearboxes
        left and they are great for the c class engines. Bob Veefkind

      • ablecynic
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2012
          Bob and LocoDoc (Wayne),

          Since I am the cause of this discussion for my comment on the Sagami 1220 motor I wanted to note that I have learned a lot from this discussion. I didn't realize the Kemtron gearbox had such a high reduction ratio which is why it works so well. And I have some small locos with higher gear ratios that need remotoring so I need to look at the Masha option.

          Thanks to you both for the input.

          Matt

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2012
            Bob

            The 1220 Sagami may be good for you with Kemtron 136/1 gearboxes, but how many
            of us have access to those boxes or that high a gear ratio? I for one,
            completely missed out on these gearboxes, and cannot recall even seeing them
            advertized. So while they may be ideal for small motor locomotive drives, the
            rest of us are forced to get along with what is currently available.

            The Hon3 standard gear ratios range from 24/1 up to perhaps 36/1, with the NWSL
            standard at 28/1, plus a 50/1 compound box for light duty. All of which work
            much better with a slow speed motor like the nominal 18 and 24 volt Faulhabers
            that RoundBell sells. I for instance, have got excellent results from 1624e024
            (nominal 24volt) Faulhabers sourced locally. Directly connected to the worm in
            my remotored K-36, with a 16x19 flywheel on the worm shaft, it gives excellent
            DC performance. The locomotive will coast its own length when shut off at top
            speed.

            John Stutz