Re: Stellar Prices Paid for Classic Kits

  • Jeff Reynolds
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 31, 2012
      I knew it would come to this. I'm still in the market for the Ridgway
      Roundhouse, and talked with CC Crow a couple years ago and he said he
      had a few pieces and parts left (at that time) and was not interested
      in doing another run. I too, did not jump at the chance to get the
      RDGWY Roundhouse while I was 'off-RGS' and I am paying the price in
      absentia. However, I'm not going to pay $588 for the kit.
      Ridgway is the last piece in my RGS puzzle. I plan on making it longer
      than prototype (class yard: 34') with the correct configuration and
      switches to house all the rolling stock. So with ALL the other Ridgway
      kits I have, I want to do it right.
      regards, as always, jefe de Mears' Madness
    • Ed
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012
        Jim - I think there will always be a few highly talented master modelers in our lot who will have all the right capabilities, resources and motivation to take on the hard work in creating the models we build. Jim Wild and Clint Crow are two such.
        Everytime someone creates some significant modeling project a body of knowledge is also created. In the plaster model case it's the design and building of the kit, tooling and process. How much of that has been preserved?
        Perhaps one of us could research the subject of developing these model kits, the history as well as the future. Or has that already been done?
        We have an ongoing evolution of design and construction technologies that may if combined and tuned could offer a way to signifantly reduce the labor required to creat a mold for small scale plaster reproductions of masonry construction. I look at what you can do today with CorelDraw5 (street price $50) a 40 or 50 watt laser (OK, more than $50) solid modeling and CNC machining. Then layer on top of this a good retinue of model fabrication techniques. Maybe the master carving can be reduced to a small amount of artistic finishing touches and at the same time mold life can be improved with new mold materials. Just some thoughts........
        Ed Weldon

        --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Jim Vail <akacoot@...> wrote:
        > Jim Wild....Rocky Mountain Model Works - died tragically ....but I have never seen any of Jim's kits reproduced......likely will never
        > be produced again.
        > Clint Crow is still in business but his Ridgeway Roundhouse kit was a limited run - I think with the proviso that it will not be run again............. Jim Vail

        > On 10/31/2012 2:31 PM, gippstrader wrote:
        > > The stellar prices paid on Ebay for some Golden Age kits reflects the quality of what seems a bygone era for those pioneers of hand carved masters and dental plaster components. Rocky Mountain Modelworks ........... I would be interested in what folks think about who has inherited these master modelers talents in this field ......
      • JOHN SPRATLEY
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012
          Hi Guys. High prices for these type of kits is nothing new. Just look at the prices being asked for other limmited edition
          "Craftsman Kits", Like FINESCALE MINIATURES, and Simmilar. Soon as you class it as "Limmited Edition", you can bet
          the "Collector/Speculator", types will begin bying them up, in the hope of future profits. The same thing happened, with the
          Brass Market, but look how the bottom droped out of that, still thats what you get in a Free Market, so you`ve got to
          accept it, or change hobby.
                However, not to worry, as soon one of the major chinese manufacturers will start producing RTR cast resin Buidings,
          just as they have here in the UK.  Happy Modelling  John the Railtoad

          P.S. Thenew Peco HOn3 switches are now out and look great.
        • Steven Haworth
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012
            Isn't Monster Modelworks duing the Durango (and maybe Ridgway) walls?

            Seems with some drawings, it'd be far cheaper to have them cut a batch of
            walls for all three (Rico, Ridgway and Durango) - and then you add your own
            windows & roof. Monster also has some nice roundhouse doors now.

            I love kits too - but can't justify $500 for a single kit of anything.

            - Steven Haworth
            RGS history - http://www.rgsrr.info/
            Blog - http://rgsrr.blogspot.com/*
            *

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012
              I agree with you concerning this kit, but I did spend that on Ragg's wonderful Martha Rose Smelter.  But I can justify that because it will be the central point of my mining layout.

              Mike Conder

              Steve Haworth wrote:

              > I love kits too - but can't justify $500 for a single kit of anything.

            • Mark
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012
                Jefe,

                What you could consider is making a Rico 'roundhouse' using the Downtown Deco Engine shed walls which bear more than a passable resemblance to the Rico shed brick walls.

                Mark K
              • Frederick Voelcker
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012
                  If anyone is looking for a RICO Enginehouse, I have one built up and ready
                  to install.

                  Fred

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012
                    Well, yes, I dropped a bundle on Raggs' kits too - not quite $500 for one
                    kit, but yeah... you have a good point!