Re: [HOn3] shorts using Neolube

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 4, 2012
      On 09/04/2012 04:31 PM, Jeff Reynolds wrote:
      > John Stutz et al,
      > I don't use Neolube, but rather Molybdenum sulfide in solution as a
      > lube.
      > Does this have the same electrical resistance/conduction properties as
      > Neolube?

      Not to my knowledge. Sulfides, like oxides, tend to be insulators. The
      Wikipedia page for Molybdenum disulfide indicates it is a semiconductor
      similar to silicon. So there should be no conduction due to using it. But
      consider a test: scratch a hairline gap across a scrap of copper clad board,
      clip your VOM to the two sides, set it on the maximum resistance range, and
      apply some MdS to the gap. An insulator won't get a quiver from the needle.

      > I had trouble with my PSC RGS 20 over the years with the same symptoms
      > as the C-19 above with a low grade short across one of the insulated
      > tires.

      If the cleaning described by Mike and John doesn't help, it may be time to
      replace the tire insulation following Loco Doc's technique. I would use a light
      card stock for the new insulation, of a thickness that provides a light press
      back on and easy adjustment to the correct alignment relative to the wheel.
      Clean the surfaces before fitting. Start with a strip about three times as wide
      as needed, and trim the excess after getting the tire back on. Use an NMRA
      standards gauge to gauge the tire from the opposite one, aiming to match the
      other sets. After you are satisfied with the position, and have checked for
      shorts, lock the tire in place by saturating the paper with water thin ACC.

      Regarding Neolube: it is an excellent dry lubricant, one that won't collect dust
      and fluff from the layout, and the graphite makes a fine weathered black
      pigment. There is no compelling reason to avoid it, when used with care for its
      electrical properties. But carelessly sloshing Neolube onto insulated side
      drivers is asking for trouble.

      John Stutz
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2012
        John,
        My name is Mark not Mike. You have overnighted in my house in Durango. Could you please be courtious enough to call me by by right name.
        Mark K
        Durango CO.
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 5, 2012
          My apology Mark, for the offense.

          Fact is that I am getting to the point where I pretty reliably mistype at least
          one word per line. And spilling checkers have the defect that they do not catch
          mistypings that generate character sequences that are in their dictionaries. I
          do try to scan for such, but don't always catch them.

          John Stutz

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 5, 2012
            John,

            None taken whatsover, just setting the record straight - suffer the same way sometime (most days!!!). Wife says it's to do with my age. I don't believe her.

            best wishes

            Mark