Re: Re Humbrol Paints

  • Scott McLeod
    Message 1 of 30 , Sep 1 4:58 AM
      Hello everyone,

      Having been a military and model railroad modeler since my childhood in the
      70s, in my opinion, Humbrol paints are simply awesome!

      I use them extensively in my model railroading to supplement Floquil paints.
      I use Floquil paints for the railroad colors, Humbrol paints for my
      structures, vehicles figures etc.

      In my experience, when brushing paints, there is no comparison for coverage
      and reducing brush stroke marks.

      Airbrushing has great coverage and very seldom if ever requires a second
      coat. I use a paint booth, since the fumes are toxic.

      The shelf life on Humbrol paints are second to none. I frequently open a
      tin of paint that has been sitting on the shelf for over 15 years and the
      paint is perfect. I buy a stockpile of this paint as one never knows when
      they may disappear in this day and age. So I'm almost always using paint
      that is years old.

      Once a tin has been opened, you have to take a lot of care ensuring both the
      lid and tin are clean before resealing. If you are successful, the paint
      will keep for a long, long time.

      You also have to ensure the thinner you use is compatible. Otherwise you
      turn the paint into a solid. Especially the clear coat finishes.

      I highly recommend these paints.

      Scott McLeod
      HOn3 RGS 1st District