Re: [HOn3] New member in this forum

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 9, 2012
      On 08/09/2012 09:22 AM, Fabron wrote:
      > Hi everybody,
      >
      > I'm a French modelrailroader, and I practice in U.S N scale and recently in HOn3. I have some material in this scale and some cars in kit from Rail Line. I've bought couplers from Kadee the 711 item. But, when I install it in this cars it seems to me that they are a little bigger for this scale. Can you say me if it's the good item that I've chosen.
      > excuse my English a little bit approximative.....
      >
      > Bernard

      The Kadee 711 'old timer' and 714 'HOn3' are identical except for trip pin
      length. They are a circa 1970 attempt by Kadee to provide a semi-scale HO
      coupler, moderately successful, and have become the defacto standard for HOn3
      modeling. They are indeed a little large, even for Colorado roads that adopted
      standard gauge coupler designs of circa 1900. But most of us make do with them.

      Alternatives;

      MicroTrains 1015, 1016 1019, and 1021 couplers are smaller derivatives of the
      711/14, revised to eliminate the bouncing caboose problem, which also provide
      much softer coupling. These are about the right overall volume for Colorado NG
      cars, but the shape is still well off.

      Sergent <http://www.sergentengineering.com/> makes a dead on HO scale version of
      the ARA type E coupler of 1930. This is used by some HOn3 modelers. The ARA
      type E is also oversize for Colorado narrow gauge cars, but otherwise looks much
      better than the Kadee and MicroTrains versions. There is some hope that Sargent
      will eventually offer a 1900 era HO scale coupler. This would be dead on for
      Colorado NG modelers. It would be considerably smaller than the ARA E, but still
      able to couple with it, just as the prototype versions did.

      John Stutz
    • Steven Haworth
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 9, 2012
        Welcome to the group, Bernard!

        What are you modeling?

        - Steven Haworth
        *RGSrr.info* - Rio Grande Southern site
        Blog - http://rgsrr.blogspot.com/ <http://StageLights.info>

      • RoundBell@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 9, 2012
          Actually the 711, 713, 714 are a shade smaller than the D&RGW, C&S, RGS,
          Uintah 3' gauge couplers but larger than EBT, Tweetsie couplers and much
          larger than SP ng which are just tiny. LocoDoc