Re: [HOn3] Re: HOn3 WP&Y Shovel-nose model

  • Mike Bauers
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 30, 2012
      If you don't require the original plow, there are ways to make duplicates if new originals can't be found.

      In the worst case, you have a master to make a duplicate from, as long as there is no way to obtain an original part.

      It's not difficult nor expensive to make a cast resin duplicate of your plow. Expect about $25 for a complete kit of stuff. Since it's a plow, you can make some other smallish stuff from the same casting kit.

      If you can still buy an original from somewhere, that's the best. But if you can't because their are none to be had, you still have a good option.

      Mike Bauers.....
    • Doug Cummings
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2012
        I have asked PSC and they say they no longer stock the part, and have not
        for some time, and it is not under consideration for the future. And I have
        asked other possible sources, and no one has it in source. The model was
        release quite a few years ago so it does not surprise me that any parts
        stock has long ago disappeared.

        This leaves either luck in finding someone who has such a part and is
        willing to sell it, or loan it so someone can make a copy. Or the other
        option would be to take the pilot off the other model and allow someone to
        make a duplicate. However that would be a last resort as I would not like to
        run the risk that a) I would never see it again, and/or b) it would be
        damaged in the process and thus I would be worse off than I was before. The
        other and prefered option would be to find someone who could scratch build a
        suitable new pilot. I do not have the tools or the knowlegde and experience
        to try to make a cast resin duplicate myself, I have never worked with cast
        resin.

        Doug

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2012
          Re:casting a plow

          It's actually simple to do. You get a small volume trial kit that includes everything and after looking over some illustrated instructions you can proceed using their points to follow.

          Is the plow removable from the model as in screwed on or is it soldered in place?

          Is there any wire-like detail on the plow or is it more of a solid casting?

          If its difficult to remove, do you have a capable camera that will make very clear close-ups of the plow from top/side/front.

          There are a few simple ways to make paper templates of the plow for a number of its angles and curves that will allow duplicates to be made. Pencil traces of the various curves, angles, and lengths can be used to assemble patterns of the plow and then to scratch build the duplicate.

          There's even a two part silicone molding putty that you knead together and then press on a part like the plow to have a usable mold in about ten minutes. You could use that and send the mold to someone that will complete the plow from the impression, even if some further work would be needed by the fellow with that mold to make a final plow. That can wind up as a cast resin, a vac-formed sheet plow, or further developed into a scratched metal plow.

          So you have several routes possible to make that plow while leaving the original in your possession.

          I don't have the link ready to send with this post. There is a great how-to showing how to mold and cast a HO slotcar body on the Alumilite.com site. It takes all of the pain and any fear out of such a project, and your plow is a much less complicated object to cast.

          (I recently bought some metal plows to cast in resin so that I'll have plows that would never short on the rails.)

          Be hopeful, this project is very do-able.

          Mike Bauers
          Sent from my iPhone

        • Jim Spencer
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2012
            A possible source of a complete PSC shovel nose diesel is Mulvi Models, p.o. box 252-G, Skagway, Alaska, 99840. There is no website or e- mail.

            Mr. Mulvihill advertises them in every issue of the Gazette. Specifically, the ad says "GE90CL Diesel in brass, yellow/green, or blue. Also advertised are PSC K-28 Crowns painted for the US Army. The only WP&Y modern power that I haven't seen him advertise are the DL-535 diesels which were also done earlier by PSC.

            I suspect that Mulvihill commissioned the various runs from PSC.
            Jim

            Sent from my iPhone
          • Doug Cummings
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2012
              You are correct, he does have some of these models in stock, and I will talk
              to him. But he is away on holidays at the moment so it will be a few weeks
              before I can do that. But I am looking for just one of the pilots, not the
              entire model. I all ready have two of them, but one does not have a pilot.
              He also has HOn3 models of the D&RGW K28, some are painted black and you can
              letter them either for the D&RGW or the Army or however you want, but the
              last time I talked to him he said he was getting down to only having a few
              left. Carl bought up quite a few of the shovel nose models direct from PSC
              and these are what he is selling. He also bought and resold many of the HOn3
              cars PSC made to WP&Y prototype but he has long ago sold out of them. He
              never bought any of the RSD35's so he has none for resale. They are quite
              rare but occasionally show up on eBay. All he now has are a few K28's and
              some of the GE shovel noses. I know Carl quite well, we have been good
              friends for about 50 years.
              Doug

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2, 2012
                Re:casting a plow

                It's actually simple to do. You get a small volume trial kit that includes
                everything and after looking over some illustrated instructions you can
                proceed using their points to follow.

                Is the plow removable from the model as in screwed on or is it soldered in
                place?

                --I believe it is screwed on but I will have to check to be sure. Someone on
                this list might know. I am not home at the moment.

                Is there any wire-like detail on the plow or is it more of a solid casting?

                --Perhaps someone can answer that, same reason as above.

                If its difficult to remove, do you have a capable camera that will make very
                clear close-ups of the plow from top/side/front.

                --Yes, but how close I am not sure.

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 13, 2012
                  Finally had an opportunity to look at one of these models at a friends
                  place. The pilot is one piece, or certainly looks to be one piece. The model
                  I looked at was painted. The pilot is attached to the body by two small
                  screws. I certainly looks to be a solid casting. It looks like someone who
                  knows what they are doing should be able to make a duplicate. Unfortunately
                  I am not that person as I have no experience in this area.

                  So is there someone out there who would be interested in making a couple of
                  these pilots. There are probably other people besides myself who would be
                  interested in one if someone was willing to make a few.

                  Doug