Re: D&RGW Water Towers

  • Dan Kelley
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2012
      The D&RGW Painted Their Structures and Water Tanks the same standard Cream
      Yellow and "Polly Scale Model Railroad Paint"

      Makes a great color for the D&RGW Tanks and structures. Use the following
      paint part number # ("F414255 D&RGW BLDG. CREAM")

      for the main walls and Body.

      Then you should use for the Legs and roof frame work Polly Scale makes a
      Brown Part # ("F414256 D&RGW BLDG BROWN")

      these two colors come closest to the proper colors the D&RGW used from 1890
      to 1960.

      One other color was used for the shingles but I have only seen bare
      shingles.

      I have never seen the actual color the D&RGW painted the Wood shingles but
      many Modelers use Polly Scale Part # ("414254 D&RGW ORANGE") but

      every Tank I have ever seen in person was Not painted it just had bare
      unpainted Cedar shingles which I think looks much better as the orange roof
      tend to

      give the tanks more of a toy train look so the roof color is up to you.

      These colors are still used on the remaining D&RGW Narrow Gauge Tourist
      Railroads throughout Colorado & New Mexico.

      Dan

    • Jerry Day
      Message 2 of 10 , May 1, 2012
        --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Kelley" <escaperealms@...> wrote:

        > The D&RGW Painted Their Structures and Water Tanks the same standard Cream
        > Yellow and "Polly Scale Model Railroad Paint"

        Only after 1939...prior to that they were all painted the same red as used for other structures.

        >> these two colors come closest to the proper colors the D&RGW used from 1890
        > to 1960.

        Not correct, from 1939 on...

        Not all the D&RGW water tanks received the yellow. Osier tank was and still is red. The Alamosa tank was painted gray. Same for the small tank at Villa Grove. Jack's Cabin small tank was painted red to the end.

        Jerry Day
      • Kjb80401@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , May 1, 2012
          Jerry,
          Most informative photos, thanks. It should answer many questions on
          what history offers us.
          Keevan
        • d_rg_br
          Message 4 of 10 , May 1, 2012
            Mr. Day,
            What were the wooden station colors in 1900? I´ve been using
            the modern colors, wrongly, for a long time?

            MCG de Oliveira

            > Only after 1939...prior to that they were all painted the same red as used for other structures.
            >

            > Jerry Day

          • Don Peterson
            Message 5 of 10 , May 1, 2012
              Jerry
              Great information and photos as always. I am about to build Needleton tank and would love to paint it red. If I am around 1940 is it reasonable to assume red would be correct in lieu of invoking rule #1?

              Don

              > Only after 1939...prior to that they were all painted the same red as used for other structures.
            • Doug Cummings
              Message 6 of 10 , May 1, 2012
                My guess is that unless you could find a color photo of it taken on or about
                the time you are interested in it would be hard to know. Any time a company
                decides to change their colors on anything it would take years to repaint
                everything. Most things are repainted as and when they need it so if they
                adopt new colors in 1939 it would usually take many years before everything
                is in those colors. As someone has all ready pointed out there are still
                some water tanks that are still painted red, some 73 years after the colors
                were changed.
                Doug

                Message 7 of 10 , May 2, 2012
                  Thank you Jerry for the reply. I think I will forge ahead as red then. Are the Rogers photos at CRRM? I looked on DPL.

                  Don

                  > Don:
                  > There is no way to know for sure as repaintings did not require an AFE and any paperwork is probably long gone. Donald EA Rogers was D&RGW water supervisor in the 30s, 40s, and 50s. He took photos of every water facility on the D&RGW both narrow and standard gauge as part of his job. Sometimes he would take another photo after one had been repainted and you can narrow it down to a time period. For example, the original Jack's Cabin and Crested Butte tanks were red in 1935 when he photographed them for the first time. He took photos of them repainted buff (yellow) in 1939. The Gunnison newspaper reported a new water tank being built at Jack's Cabin in 1938, but it was not a new one, just a new paint job. So those two tanks got the buff sometime in 38.
                  >
                  > Jerry Day

                • dave_grandt
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 2, 2012
                    I just posted a Don Rogers photo of Needleton Tank taken in May 1939. I Appears to me to be in the Buff/yellow livery. Grandt folder, Photos section

                    --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "Don Peterson" <sagenut3@...> wrote:

                    > Thank you Jerry for the reply. I think I will forge ahead as red then. Are the Rogers photos at CRRM? I looked on DPL.
                    >
                    > Don
                    >
                    > > Don:
                    > > There is no way to know for sure as repaintings did not require an AFE and any paperwork is probably long gone. Donald EA Rogers was D&RGW water supervisor in the 30s, 40s, and 50s. He took photos of every water facility on the D&RGW both narrow and standard gauge as part of his job. Sometimes he would take another photo after one had been repainted and you can narrow it down to a time period. For example, the original Jack's Cabin and Crested Butte tanks were red in 1935 when he photographed them for the first time. He took photos of them repainted buff (yellow) in 1939. The Gunnison newspaper reported a new water tank being built at Jack's Cabin in 1938, but it was not a new one, just a new paint job. So those two tanks got the buff sometime in 38.
                    > >
                    > > Jerry Day

                  • Don Peterson
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 2, 2012
                      Darn it Dave! :^) And I was just about to crack open a fresh bottle of Boxcar Red. Just gonna have to invoke rule #1

                      Nice picture BTW

                      Don