RE: [HOn3] Homasote

  • Glenn
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 2, 2012
      An old adage says never to glue anything on a layout, there always maybe the
      need to move, redo, adjust, or otherwise remove it.

      Another sage is to never cover a screw head for the same reasons. That's why
      we use cleats on risers and have the screws accessible from below.

      In the past I used 1" screws to attach Homasote to 1/2" plywood. Now I am
      more apt to use drywall screws. This can be accomplished from the top making
      sure you do not bury the screw under the track.

      Glenn

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 2, 2012
        Glenn,
        In my long lifetime I've only removed the Homasote by using a sabre saw
        and took the plywood with it. Obviously the plywood would be in the wrong
        place and need to be moved also. If you don't glue anything on your
        layout, how do you deal with scenicking?
        Wouldn't ballasting the roadbed conceal the screws? Assuming that you
        do ballast the trackage. I sure do.
        My layout is built in bolted together sections that could be taken apart
        and relocated if necessary.
        Keevan
      • Robert Weaver
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2, 2012
          I may be old school, but I use yellow wood glue and drywall screws to
          secure homasote to plywood. After the glue is dry, I will remove the screws
          if there is going to be track near that area (they are only needed to act
          as a clamp for a short time while the glue dries - but if left they may
          transfer sound). For areas that will not have track, it is the builders
          choice to leave the screws or remove them. If there is a slight indent left
          from the screw you can use spackle or plaster to flatten it. But where the
          track is, there usually is no need to cover up the hole because the ballast
          will fill that area. One important thing to do before laying track, is to
          lightly sand the homasote, especially where the screws were to make sure
          that it is even. This can be done by hand or with a hand/palm sander (I use
          a random orbit sander with a vacuum attached to it - that really minimized
          the dust, just be sure to check the vacuum container about every 10-15
          minutes for the level of dust).

          To secure plywood to spline roadbed, I use yellow wood glue and clamps to
          hold it in place until the glue dries, then remove the clamps. Sanding is
          still required to ensure that everything is even.

          Rob W.

        • Michael Dreiling
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2, 2012
            I use caulk. If you ever have to remove some of the homesote it is easier then most glues.

            Mike
          • dennis jackson
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 3, 2012
              Agreed - caulk works and has the removal advantage

              Dennis

              > I use caulk. If you ever have to remove some of the homesote it is easier then most glues.
            • Daniel Geiger
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 3, 2012
                Rob
                For myself I have used white Elmers glue with no screws with no apparent problems, My modules are not used as drink holders and are not exposed to condensing humidity for extended periods of time. they are only about 4 years old so they may not have the proven track record others have.

                I apply a thin coat or 2 to the homasote or ceiling tile and let it get tacky to get it primed to the point where it is just not soaking in quickly,
                I let the glue get tacky before applying a second coat, this does a few things it provides enough glue so it gets absorbed deeper into the homasote which strengthens it's structure and the glue bond and it allow some glue to stay in the final glue joint instead of being sucked into the homasote.
                I put a light to med coat over the homasote and the plywood and place on the plywood and press it and then put distributed weight like bags of birdseed, cat food, or cat litter.

                I do basically the same thing for cork roadbed but prime both with glue because the cork is even more absorbent.

                The homasote website has some recommendations. which include screws, here are the glues.

                Glues and Adhesives

                Liquid Nails® Sub-Floor Adhesive
                Liquid Nails® All Purpose Adhesive
                PL® 400