Re: Fear of making myself look like an idiot...design for layout

  • Steven
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1 7:08 AM
      Hi Don,

      I am modeling both HO and HOn3 and trying to incorporate allot of ideas that I have had since I was a kid.

      I have bought a number of books and subscribe to the NG & SL Gazette and MR Mags. I have gotten allot of good ideas through that, but am just having trouble with trying to put everything together in my mind or on paper.

      This is the first time that I am paying attention to an era and trying to stay fairly prototypical to the roads I mentioned.

      On the UP, I know the terminus', Ogden UT and Evanston, WY. On the D&RWG, I am having a hard time trying to decide which route/s I want to model. The logging and mining RR will interchange with the D&RGW. The UP, SP and D&RGW will interchange in Ogden. The UP will be a main line over Sherman's pass and the SP will basically be a representational RR that has it's yard in Ogden along side of the UP and then I plan to have a short run for it, but nothing special. It basically gives me the excuse to have another road name.

      I have checked into local clubs and even visited one, but it seems that they have become a clique and not interested in new members. plus it is a distance that I cannot travel on a regular basis.

      As much as I love living in a rural area, it has some drawbacks and proximity to some things is one of those drawbacks.

      Allot of people have said that I should limit my layout to a single deck for various reasons and some do have merit, but the reason I wanted to do the multi-deck (3 levels) thing is to get more running space and since most of my RR is mountainous, allot of it will not look like a true multi-deck layout.

      You can see the space I have to work with and a very general idea of the first deck in the Photo Section under Steve's Multi-deck Layout:

      I have to admit that I have always wanted to build a fairly large layout but never had a space I could dedicate to it. Now I have a pretty good space. Now I need the direction.

      I am planning on doing things I have never done before like building scenery, structures, weathering and everything that goes with many layouts that I have seen in pictures and on YouTube.

      I have tons of time, but not very much money, so this is going to take quite some time to do. In fact, I don't really ever plan to finish. I will keep building and modifying until I die. That way I will always have a project to do instead of holding down the bed or chair the rest of my life.

      My goal is to create a layout that if photos are taken from anywhere on the layout, you would have a very hard time determine if it is a model or the prototype. My dreams are admittedly quite lofty, but I really would like to give it my best shot.

      I am also planning on running night and day, so there will be allot of lighting involved.

      I plan to have no deck wider that 30" with most of the trackwork near the front for ease of access. The peninsula/s will be no wider that 60" so I can reach them from either side with the same 30" reach in mind. I am tall and have long arms and in my experiments, I have found that this works well. It is possible that this might change when accommodating structures, scenery and such, but for now that is what I have come up with.

      As far as track plans, most of it is in my head and then in some places like the Ogden yards, I have the actual diagram of the yard in the time period that I am modeling, December, 1 1941.

      Anyway, this hopefully gives a better idea of what I am trying to do.

      Take care,

      Steven

      --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Don Bergman <DBRenegade@...> wrote:

      > Steven,
      >
      > Wow, sounds like you have quite the space? Can you find groups that
      > discuss the track and gauge you wish to model? Some ideas, I am sure there
      > will be others....
      >
      > Make a diagram of the exact space for the layout, include doors windows,
      > utilities, support posts etc. and post it in the photo section. How much
      > double deck do you anticipate.
      >
      > Keep the train in front of the operator, don't cut across a peninsula so
      > the operator loses the train. Keep everything within 30" of the edge so
      > you can reach it. If going double deck, get the recent book out on double
      > decking.
      >
      > Make a list of the priorities in the order of their importance. (Such as
      > the yards you noted, any towns you want included, sidings, industries, a
      > unique bridge to be included etc.)
      >
      > Are you focused on running trains from one end to the other, Switching
      > spurs, operations, single main, double track? other items How long do
      > you expect your longest train to be? Are you going standard gauge or
      > narrow gauge. (Probably the first question to ask as we are a bunch of
      > narrow minded people.) Designing for each can make some things such as
      > radius on curves and spacing between tracks different. Pick a time period.
      >
      > Make a second diagram placing the items you noted in your such e-mail such
      > as(I know that I will utilize the corners for the larger terminus' for the
      > UP at Evanston, WY and the D&RGW) on the diagram. Post that in the photos
      > section.
      >
      > Any way to find other that model that section of track in your scale?
      >
      > If you have any track plans made, post the in the photo section and those of
      > us interested can critique them.
      >
      > just the beginning...
      >
      > Dreaming is part of the fun. Once you have a plan you like, submit it to
      > others for review. Ideas from multiple sources can result in a better
      > plan. I have been designing model RR's since 1961 and am still learning
      > from others.
      >
      > Don Bergman
      > Holland, MI

    • Glenn
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1 8:02 AM
        I agree with Deb, but for all of you, you will be joining us eventually.

        It's okay to have a single track back there where the chance of a derailment
        or repair is limited (LOL), but the stuff requiring more attention should be
        close for easy maintenance.

        Besides the ability to reach maybe 30", what does the 3" diameter boom do to
        that great foreground scenery?

        Glenn

        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2 8:35 AM
          Steven,

          I'm a more jr member here, so no expert, but several folks helped me plan a 3 deck 12 x 22 layout based on the Colorado Southern so I thought I might drop you a note to say I'd be glad to help were I can.

          I have all 3 decks built and am in the process of laying track on deck 1 & my middle peninsula which is an open helix (ie it can be viewed and is part of the scenery).

          My wife has Fibro and fatigue issues so I can really understand a little of where your coming from. I really agree with your approach,
          I'm 51 and this layout is designed to carry me until I cannot work on it anymore. Beats becoming a couch potato and with fibro having something you like to motivate you sounds like excellent thinking.

          For details of my plan go to www.DGCCRR.blogspot.com. Setting up a free bl;og might be a good way to help folks see your progress and make helpful suggestions or ideas.

          There are several special considerations I've faced with multi-deck; namely deck height, support (where it can be hidden) and lighting. My spacing varies from as little as 15" (so 11 usable) on the open helix to 23 / 19 for major towns. Ran mostly Compact fluorescent lights (the cheapest solution I could find)to LED's strips where CFL would not fit. I'm still working on supports, thinking of supporting deck 3 from the ceiling to remove ugly supports on deck 2. Also testing using threaded rod as a support, much smaller and easier to hide than wood. up to 20" brackets can work.

          If you subscribe to Model Railroad Hobbyist (free ezine)Joe Fugate uses a mushroom design that might be something to consider.

          For deck height I started at 23", which is good for me, not sure if that would be too difficult when it comes to wiring and switches for you though.

          Anyway enough from me, let me know if I can help.

          Thanks Cameron / OD