Re: Advice on undelivered order

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
      Hi Brent. Sorry to hear that you are having problems, but if it is the same supplier that I think it is, I know someone else having this exact same problem (and they are a US resident). My suggestion would be to contact your credit card company or Paypal (depending on who you used) and log a complaint and tell them that you have not received your goods. Most likely they will refund your money after a week or so and then they will go after the person in question for a refund. I have heard a couple of people go this route before and it seemed to work fine for them. Also I would suggest contacting the BBB and do a review on the company in question. A lot of folks use that service and they should know what others have experienced.

      Now onto these so called "manufacturers" or "builders" or whatever you want to call them. I don't care who you are, what you are doing...if you put up something on a website to list as selling a service, you must DO the service. Not do this crap of taking money and then getting to it whenever you feel like it. If I am paying money for something, I want what I have paid for. Otherwise, don't take payment and remove what you are trying to sell. You may have a great my product and may think it is worth every penny, but until you actually prove your actions by (gasp)...providing your service in a quick manner...you shouldn't be in business. Also, I understand that real life gets in the way sometimes. If that is the case...turn off your website so folks can't order until you are able to provide the service in a quick manner. Not hard to do and it will probably save you from getting a black eye in the community. There are a LOT of suppliers that do a great job at responding to the community and providing their service quickly (or they will send a note saying what is going on when you email them).

      I think this is why I basically on deal with one main hobby shop. He has always done right by me and ALWAYS keeps in the loop on what is going on. When he is away, he shuts down his website so no orders can come in and then when he gets back it is turned back on. He is always professional and is now someone who I would consider a friend.

      This is also why I hand lay my track, so I am not at the mercy of 'manufacturers' like this.

      Sorry for the rant...but I am getting sick and tired of reading about online stores like this taking advantage of people and then not having the stones to standby what they have agreed to do.

      Craig

      > On 28 November I placed a $278.45 order with a well-known Ohio Turnout
      > Manufacturer, which was paid for immediately via PayPal.

    • JOHN SPRATLEY
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
        Dear Brent, If you had payed by Credit Card You would have no problem!. I suggest you contact Paypal re this, to see if they have similar customer cover service. It is unacceptable that this guy is more interested in promoting his new products than supplying existing customer orders. If he has your money and does not deliver he wont`t be in business long!.  John therailtoad.
      • Kjb80401@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
          He has a well designed website, so much so that I think that's where he
          spends the bulk of his time. Some months back, similar issues were being
          discussed that included not compensating his labor force. The turnout
          offering started off with a bang and virtually disappeared quickly due to internal
          problems. The excuses you've heard are merely pacifications and have
          little or no substance.
          A good idea, but with no substance.
          Keevan
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
            I hope so, but I prefer to buy those turnouts from someone who has them in stock ... like Caboose Hobbies, etc.

            Odd that the $$$ were accepted before goods were delivered, though.

            Mike Conder

            Fred Voelcker wrote:

            > I think I know who you are dealing with, and recommend patience, he's a reputable member of the narrow gauge community ...I feel sure he'll follow thru in due time ...

          • Mark Breznay
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
              It seems as though this happens quite often from these small companies.  Me thinks that if all one needs is what is commercially available, buy it or, build 'em yourself!
              Mark

            • hwcwsl
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
                Brent,

                Keevan and others have phrased it very well. "Pacifications with little substance". Here in California, they're also known as "freeway salutes" (use of the middle finger in writing).

                As a retired 75 year old San Francisco banker, I've seen and heard these thousands of times, ofter from fair sized companies. Being in the "loan workout" group, I was able to do something about it, usually in various courts. One company in the midwest I had to put in bankruptcy in 3 business days because of extremely clear evidence that the owner had embezzled US$800,000 in 9 months. The FBI got into the picture and the owner used the 5th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution many times to avoid self-incrimination.

                Since you used PayPal, you almost had to have a PayPal account. Go to Paypal's website, sign in, then click on the tab link to the Resolution Center, then tell them what you've said on this List.

                You should get some satisfaction pretty quickly as others already have said.

                BTW, most entrepreneurs (or people who think they are entrepreneurs) very often have now idea of how to manage or run a business and now ideas of the basic complexities of doing so. Unfortunately for model railroaders, this is mostly a "cottage industry" hobby and this statement often applies.

                With best regards, Hart Corbett

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1, 2012
                  Dumb question: Have you asked for a refund yet?

                  Mike Conder
                  Sent from my iPod

                  On Mar 1, 2012, at 6:27 PM, "hwcwsl" <hwcorbett@...> wrote:

                  > Since you used PayPal, you almost had to have a PayPal account. Go to Paypal's website, sign in, then click on the tab link to the Resolution Center, then tell them what you've said on this List.
                • MICHAEL PANNELL
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 2, 2012
                    I would like to know who we are talking about now, before i place an order for 51 turnout control kits from a well known company.

                    Someone can contact me off list if they wouldnt mind
                    michael.pannell@...

                    Thanks

                    Mike
                    Cheyenne