Re: [HOn3] Build some kits

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
      On 11/30/2011 6:39 PM, Rio Grande Ltd wrote:

      What a waist of money when you've got beautiful kits that are easy to
      build - and certainly lass money!

      Jim Vail

      > You can modify the hiside gons and remove the stockcar bodies to build
      > idler flats. That way ALL Blackstone.
      >
      > eric

    • ablecynic
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
        Jim is correct, the PSC tank car kits are easy to build and a good starter for a "superglue only" modeler. No soldering required.

        And there have been several good kits of Idler Flats that show up all the time on eBay. Any of which would be easier to build that kitbashing an already assembled and painted stock car IMHO.

        Matt

        --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Jim Vail <akacoot@...> wrote:

        > On 11/30/2011 6:39 PM, Rio Grande Ltd wrote:
        > >

        > What a waist of money when you've got beautiful kits that are easy to
        > build - and certainly lass money!
        >
        > Jim Vail

      • Roger Cutter
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
          Just remember you can use Blackstone couplers.
          Roger
        • Roger Cutter
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
            Sorry. I meant trucks.

            Roger

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
              On 12/1/2011 6:24 AM, ablecynic wrote:

              > Jim is correct, the PSC tank car kits are easy to build and a good
              > starter for a "superglue only" modeler. No soldering required.

              Very nice and easy to build Hi-Side gons and Idler flats are available
              from Durango Press - now part of JL Innovative Design.

              Jim Vail

              > And there have been several good kits of Idler Flats that show up all
              > the time on eBay. Any of which would be easier to build that
              > kitbashing an already assembled and painted stock car IMHO.
              >
              > Matt
              >
              > --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com <mailto:HOn3%40yahoogroups.com>, Jim Vail
              > <akacoot@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > On 11/30/2011 6:39 PM, Rio Grande Ltd wrote:
              > > >

              > > What a waist of money when you've got beautiful kits that are easy to
              > > build - and certainly lass money!
              > >
              > > Jim Vail

            • Mark
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
                I'd agree with that. I've built most of the plastic D&RGW HOn3 kits and I'd say the high sided gon from Durango Press is probably the easiest and a perfect starting point. The PSC tank kits need a fair bit of filling and sanding to get the seam between the two halves of the tank smooth and the all round grab rail requires some careful shaping and cutting but that apart is not difficult - though the steps are a bit fragile if handled roughly. But there again none of them are 'difficult' - possibly the hardest of the plastic kits is the Grandt Line drop bottom gon but even that makes up nicely if you read the instructions carefully before wading in.

                Mark K

                --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Jim Vail <akacoot@...> wrote:

                > On 12/1/2011 6:24 AM, ablecynic wrote:
                > >
                > > Jim is correct, the PSC tank car kits are easy to build and a good
                > > starter for a "superglue only" modeler. No soldering required.
                > >
                > Very nice and easy to build Hi-Side gons and Idler flats are available
                > from Durango Press - now part of JL Innovative Design.
                >
                > Jim Vail
                >

                > > And there have been several good kits of Idler Flats that show up all
                > > the time on eBay. Any of which would be easier to build that
                > > kitbashing an already assembled and painted stock car IMHO.
                > >
                > > Matt
                > >
                > > --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com <mailto:HOn3%40yahoogroups.com>, Jim Vail
                > > <akacoot@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > On 11/30/2011 6:39 PM, Rio Grande Ltd wrote:
                > > > >

                > > > What a waist of money when you've got beautiful kits that are easy to
                > > > build - and certainly lass money!
                > > >
                > > > Jim Vail

              • J.A. O'Donnell, P.E.
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 1, 2011
                  With regard to building the Grandt drop bottom gons, Slim Gauge News ran an article with a modified assembly scheme that worked well for me. The superstructure was assembled first, allowing a square box to affix all the other parts.

                  Would it be allowed to post a scan of the article (copyright problems)?

                  Joseph of Houston

                  I'd agree with that. I've built most of the plastic D&RGW HOn3 kits and I'd say the high sided gon from Durango Press is probably the easiest and a perfect starting point. The PSC tank kits need a fair bit of filling and sanding to get the seam between the two halves of the tank smooth and the all round grab rail requires some careful shaping and cutting but that apart is not difficult - though the steps are a bit fragile if handled roughly. But there again none of them are 'difficult' - possibly the hardest of the plastic kits is the Grandt Line drop bottom gon but even that makes up nicely if you read the instructions carefully before wading in.

                  Mark K

                • Bruce Dunlevy
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 2, 2011
                    Nick,

                    What issue was it in? Thanks.

                    Bruce Dunlevy

                  • Nick and Susan Brown
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 3, 2011
                      Bruce,

                      The drop bottom article was in the Spring 1974 issue of Slim Gauge News. It was in Harry Brunk's "HOn3 Scene" column startin on page 10.

                      Nick