Re: trackwork

  • bouncer_smf
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 5, 2011
      My thanks to Hart and everyone else that answered Wolfgang's question. I'm in the early stages of planning my first HOn3 model railroad and had the same questions along with about a dozen others. I really like the look of Code 55 but was concerned with hand laying turnouts. I'm a fairly experienced modeler but I have no experience in this aspect of the hobby. Does anyone in the group have experience with Fast Track as a way to get started?

      Also, are the Tortoise switch machines the best to use?

      I plan on wiring the railroad for DCC.

      thanks
      Bouncer/Steve
    • Kenneth Martin
      Message 2 of 30 , Oct 5, 2011
        I don't know if they are the best or not. But you should be aware
        that when the motor throws and stalls it is still drawing current. So
        three or four shouldn't cause a problem but if you use a couple of
        dozen you will either need a HUGE power supply or several spread around.

        Ken Martin

        On Oct 5, 2011, at 11:05 AM, bouncer_smf wrote:

        > Also, are the Tortoise switch machines the best to use?

        > thanks
        > Bouncer/Steve
      • Wolfgang Dudler
        Message 3 of 30 , Oct 6, 2011
          Thank you all for the information.

          I like to see different rail sizes. With my module Salina
          http://www.westportterminal.de/H0-USA/salina_1.html I had code 55 for
          the "main line" and code 40 else.
          This time I think the standard gauge (partially dual) mainline will get
          code 70 rails. Other tracks will get code 55 rails. Perhaps I will use
          for some spurs at mines code 40.

          Wolfgang

          --
          Wolfgang
          Message 4 of 30 , Oct 6, 2011
            Am 05.10.2011 20:05, schrieb bouncer_smf:
            > My thanks to Hart and everyone else that answered Wolfgang's question. I'm in the early stages of planning my first HOn3 model railroad and had the same questions along with about a dozen others. I really like the look of Code 55 but was concerned with hand laying turnouts. I'm a fairly experienced modeler but I have no experience in this aspect of the hobby. Does anyone in the group have experience with Fast Track as a way to get started?
            >
            > Also, are the Tortoise switch machines the best to use?

            Those Tortoise use not much current, they use less current when they stall!
            I will use them for my staging yard Pueblo / Salt Lake. There will be 13
            tortoises, other turnouts will get BluePoints.
            I've already used BluePoint with my module Salina.
            http://www.westportterminal.de/H0-USA/salina_1.html
            Tortoise I've used with my staging yard at Westport Terminal RR.
            There're 11 Tortoises. And Westport yard has some Tortoises too. I'm
            very satisfied with them.
            I had only to use thicker wire for actuation with the BluePoints.

            BTW, soldering your own turnout is not difficult. Here's my latest HowTo:
            http://www.westportterminal.de/H0-USA/salina_2.html
            or an older one: http://www.westportterminal.de/howtoscrturnouts.html

            --
            Wolfgang
            --
            Pueblo& Salt Lake RR
            Come to us http://www.westportterminal.de http://hon3forums.com/
          • rstrebendt
            Message 5 of 30 , Oct 6, 2011
              --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Martin <kmartin537@...> wrote:

              > I don't know if they are the best or not. But you should be aware
              > that when the motor throws and stalls it is still drawing current.

              True.

              > So
              > three or four shouldn't cause a problem but if you use a couple of
              > dozen you will either need a HUGE power supply or several spread
              > around.

              Depends on how you define "HUGE".

              I run my Tortoises from 9 volt/1 amp wall warts I got from Radio Shack. Since the stalled motor presents around 600 ohms resistance, at 9v a stalled Tortoise draws about 15ma, small enough a current that you can draw the current through an LED to indicate turnout position. Those 1a wall wart power supplies can each support over 60 Tortoises, though I limit mine to a max of 50 per power supply.

              Rich Strebendt
            • Jerry Day
              Message 6 of 30 , Oct 6, 2011
                I just posted this on the Rio Grande NG Yahoo group and thought it might be useful here. This is from a D&RGW 1947 Condensed Profile...

                The dual gauge track in the yard at Montrose (MP 350.27 to 352.26) was all 65 pound rail (all three rails).

                The dual gauge on the Valley Line from Alamosa to Hooper (MP 279.50 to 298.63) was all 65 pound rail (all three rails)

                The dual gauge from Alamosa to Antonito was 85 pound (MP 352.18 to 358.18...all three rails). 90 pound rail (MP 358.18 to 280.02...all three rails) and 70 pound rail (Mp 280.02 to 280.87...all three rails).

                The only dual gauge shown in Salia was 90 pound rail (MP215.09 to 215.90...all three rails).

                What this shows is that on the D&RGW from the 1920s on, all dual gauge track had the same weight of rail in all three.

                Jerry Day
              • Wolfgang Dudler
                Message 7 of 30 , Oct 7, 2011
                  Am 07.10.2011 04:52, schrieb Jerry Day:
                  > I just posted this on the Rio Grande NG Yahoo group and thought it might be useful here. This is from a D&RGW 1947 Condensed Profile...
                  >

                  > The dual gauge track in the yard at Montrose (MP 350.27 to 352.26) was all 65 pound rail (all three rails).
                  >
                  > The dual gauge on the Valley Line from Alamosa to Hooper (MP 279.50 to 298.63) was all 65 pound rail (all three rails)
                  >
                  > The dual gauge from Alamosa to Antonito was 85 pound (MP 352.18 to 358.18...all three rails). 90 pound rail (MP 358.18 to 280.02...all three rails) and 70 pound rail (Mp 280.02 to 280.87...all three rails).
                  >
                  > The only dual gauge shown in Salia was 90 pound rail (MP215.09 to 215.90...all three rails).
                  >
                  > What this shows is that on the D&RGW from the 1920s on, all dual gauge track had the same weight of rail in all three.
                  >
                  > Jerry Day

                  Thank you, then I'm not so wrong with my idea for standard gauge
                  mainline code 70 and code 55 for narrow / dual gauge. :-)
                  Well, I can start building turnouts.

                  --
                  Wolfgang
                  --
                  Pueblo& Salt Lake RR
                  Come to us http://www.westportterminal.de http://hon3forums.com/
                • Glenn
                  Message 8 of 30 , Oct 7, 2011
                    Me thinks it was who ever was there first. Why lay three rails when one
                    would do, unless the original rail was too light for the newer equipment.

                    On another note, in my library someplace there is a photo of an NG to
                    standard conversion in progress. Every third tie was a standard gauge tie.
                    This would make and interesting detail.

                    Glenn

                    Message 9 of 30 , Oct 7, 2011
                      If you want some interesting track work try this one out. It comes under the
                      "there is a prototype for everything" catagory. At Bello Horizonte (In
                      Brazil) the main passenger station has raised platforms and it is dual
                      gauge, but the meter gauge uses two rails that are on the south side. The
                      westbound platform is on the north side, the eastbound platform is on the
                      south side. On the north side (the westbound track) the narrow gauge moves
                      over for a short distance so meter gauge trains/cars are nearer to the
                      platform so passengers can get on and off easily.

                      Try that on your layout.

                      Doug
                    • Wolfgang Dudler
                      Message 10 of 30 , Oct 7, 2011
                        Am 07.10.2011 16:57, schrieb Doug Cummings:
                        > If you want some interesting track work try this one out. It comes under the
                        > "there is a prototype for everything" catagory. At Bello Horizonte (In
                        > Brazil) the main passenger station has raised platforms and it is dual
                        > gauge, but the meter gauge uses two rails that are on the south side. The
                        > westbound platform is on the north side, the eastbound platform is on the
                        > south side. On the north side (the westbound track) the narrow gauge moves
                        > over for a short distance so meter gauge trains/cars are nearer to the
                        > platform so passengers can get on and off easily.
                        >
                        > Try that on your layout.

                        Then you will run into problems with a coupler idler car. :-)

                        --
                        Wolfgang
                        --
                        Pueblo& Salt Lake RR
                        Come to us http://www.westportterminal.de http://hon3forums.com/
                      • Doug Cummings
                        Message 11 of 30 , Oct 7, 2011
                          Only if you mix cars of two different gauges in the same train.
                          Doug

                          Am 07.10.2011 16:57, schrieb Doug Cummings:
                          > If you want some interesting track work try this one out. It comes
                          > under the "there is a prototype for everything" catagory. At Bello
                          > Horizonte (In
                          > Brazil) the main passenger station has raised platforms and it is dual
                          > gauge, but the meter gauge uses two rails that are on the south side.
                          > The westbound platform is on the north side, the eastbound platform is
                          > on the south side. On the north side (the westbound track) the narrow
                          > gauge moves over for a short distance so meter gauge trains/cars are
                          > nearer to the platform so passengers can get on and off easily.
                          >
                          > Try that on your layout.

                          Then you will run into problems with a coupler idler car. :-)
                        • Hart Corbett
                          Message 12 of 30 , Oct 10, 2011
                            Ken, I've been out of town at a Conference, hence this late reply.

                            Power supply is the one thing I did not touch on in my previous post about handlaid turnouts and tortoise machines.

                            My power supply is just one 12 volt, 2 amp item which supplies all 62 turnouts, one Kadee powered uncoupling device, and half a dozen or so latching relays (for throwing the same turnouts from different locations on the layout). ALL work fine even though some of the turnouts are located as far away as 60 feet (measured by wire distance) from the power supply.

                            Tortoises are fine machines and obviously I regard them highly. The current they draw when they stall is very small and the 2 amp supply is quite sufficient. A huge supply is not needed; I can hold my power supply in the palm of my hand.

                            With best regards, Hart

                            <<< Re: trackwork
                            Posted by: "Kenneth Martin" kmartin537@... kmartin537
                            Date: Wed Oct 5, 2011 11:12 pm ((PDT))

                            I don't know if they are the best or not. But you should be aware
                            that when the motor throws and stalls it is still drawing current. So
                            three or four shouldn't cause a problem but if you use a couple of
                            dozen you will either need a HUGE power supply or several spread around.

                            Ken Martin
                            . . . . . . . . . . . . .

                            On Oct 5, 2011, at 11:05 AM, bouncer_smf wrote:

                            > Also, are the Tortoise switch machines the best to use?

                            > thanks
                            > Bouncer/Steve >>>
                          • Hart Corbett
                            Message 13 of 30 , Oct 10, 2011
                              Wolfgang:

                              I long ago got into the habit of using 12 gauge wire (hidden underneath, of course) for everything from power buses for Tortoise machines and related equipment to my main DCC power buses. All are color coded to avoid confusion between them.

                              You've gotten more courageous than I when you use code 40 rail! I bought one length years ago and I had trouble differentiating it from lightweight piano wire, so I left it alone. I presume that you've discovered that even ME micro spikes won't work with it; HO flanges hit the spike heads or just jam up against them

                              With best regards, Hart
                              ______________________________________

                              <<< Posted by: "Wolfgang Dudler" Wolfgang.Dudler@... wedudler

                              Message 14 of 30 , Oct 10, 2011
                                Hart and Wolfgan,

                                I too would baulk at using code 40 BUT as bridge guard rail it is perfect. I glue it in place between the main Code 55 rails using the UK equivalent of Pliobond, paint it and when the track cleaner runs across it, it doesn't affect the paint. Don't think I'd like to spike anything let alone 40 - just not British!

                                Best wishes

                                Mark K
                                Durango CO

                                > You've gotten more courageous than I when you use code 40 rail! I bought one length years ago and I had trouble differentiating it from lightweight piano wire, so I left it alone. I presume that you've discovered that even ME micro spikes won't work with it; HO flanges hit the spike heads or just jam up against them
                                >
                                > With best regards, Hart
                                > ______________________________________
                                >
                                > <<< Posted by: "Wolfgang Dudler" Wolfgang.Dudler@... wedudler
                                > Date: Thu Oct 6, 2011 2:27 am ((PDT))
                                > . . . . . . . . .
                                > I had only to use thicker wire for actuation with the BluePoints.
                                >
                                > BTW, soldering your own turnout is not difficult. Here's my latest HowTo:
                                > http://www.westportterminal.de/H0-USA/salina_2.html
                                > or an older one: http://www.westportterminal.de/howtoscrturnouts.html
                                >
                                > Wolfgang >>>

                              • Wolfgang Dudler
                                Message 15 of 30 , Oct 11, 2011
                                  Am 11.10.2011 05:40, schrieb Mark:
                                  > Hart and Wolfgang,
                                  >
                                  > I too would baulk at using code 40 BUT as bridge guard rail it is perfect. I glue it in place between the main Code 55 rails using the UK equivalent of Pliobond, paint it and when the track cleaner runs across it, it doesn't affect the paint. Don't think I'd like to spike anything let alone 40 - just not British!
                                  >
                                  > Best wishes
                                  >
                                  > Mark K
                                  > Durango CO

                                  I've soldered the code 40 rail to PC board ties. :-)

                                  Perhaps you can try the PROTO87 spikes. But this would be only for
                                  appearance I think.

                                  --
                                  Wolfgang