Re: Track and wheel cleaning

  • boone@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 31, 1999
      >From: Trains4MS@...
      >
      >Boone,
      >
      >Thanks, I will try that. The floor will be sealed soon.
      >
      >Happy New Year,
      >Mike

      Bet it helps a lot and with the air cleaner you should be all set.

      And Happy New to you also!

      Aloha, Boone
    • Tex61@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 25 , Jan 3, 2000
        In a message dated 01/03/2000 9:37:07 PM Central Standard Time,
        wolftrain@... writes:

        << Mike
        One thing that may help is to paint the concrete floor, with a floor
        paint. >>
        Or a good sealer, if you are not keen on painting the floors. Special sealers
        are sold to keep floors from getting dusty. Check with the likes of Home
        Depot etc. or a local concrete accessory and supply house.
        Jim Besleme
      • Mike Lehman
        Message 3 of 25 , Jan 3, 2000
          Hey Guys,
          The option I took was to use a concrete satin, followed by a floor sealer. I
          used a dark brown and I really takes your attention off the floor. The only
          problem with concrete stains is that they are a bit like wood stain; the finish
          you get is somewhat dependent on the original surfacing job on the bare concrete.

          Consequently, the stain tends to vary a bit, just like wood stain does. For our
          purposes, which is pretty much to get your mind off that floor and onto the
          layout, this should not be a problem.

          It would probably be a good idea to check with wherever you buy the stain and
          sealer to insure they are compatible. I can post the exact names of the products
          used if anyone is interested, but I'm sure that they vary regionally. I have
          been vary happy with my results and it really does a good job of keeping the dust
          down.

          From my past experience with older floor paints on concrete, you will probably
          not be happy with that route in the long term. Perhaps there are new floor
          paints that someone can recommend, but I doubt they are much of an improvement.
          They always tend to scale up after a few years.

          BTW, be sure you put the STAIN DOWN FIRST and the sealer after, otherwise you
          will be very unhappy!

          Mike Lehman
          Urbana, IL

          Tex61@... wrote:

          > From: Tex61@...
          >
          > In a message dated 01/03/2000 9:37:07 PM Central Standard Time,
          > wolftrain@... writes:
          >
          > << Mike
          > One thing that may help is to paint the concrete floor, with a floor
          > paint. >>
          > Or a good sealer, if you are not keen on painting the floors. Special sealers
          > are sold to keep floors from getting dusty. Check with the likes of Home
          > Depot etc. or a local concrete accessory and supply house.
        • kurt nielsen
          Message 4 of 25 , Jan 3, 2000
            Mike
            One thing that may help is to paint the concrete floor, with a floor
            paint. Bare concrete releases a lot of dust. You can sweep bare
            concrete all day and still get dust.
            Good luck
            Kurt

          • Szczowicz@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 25 , Jan 4, 2000
              When converting my railway room from an old brick built farm building I
              wanted to have warm feet as well as a dust free environment. So instead of
              painting concrete I covered it using the following method. First the concrete
              was covered with a layer of inch thick expanded polystyrene sheet. Then
              covered with an airtight membrane (polythene sheeting is fine). The final
              layer was chipboard flooring panels which interlock. They were glued together
              leaving an inch gap at the sides (VERY IMPORTANT - when chipboard gets very
              wet, it expands with enough strength to knock the sides out of buildings. The
              gap gives it somewhere to go if the unthinkable should happen). The result is
              warm and dust feee and cuts down on heating bills.
              Mark
            • Trains4MS@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 25 , Jan 4, 2000
                Hi guys,

                Thanks for all the suggestions on the dust problem. It was getting very
                frustrating trying to keep my engines running the way I think they should
                run. Almost went to Sn3, but the same thread cam up on the Sn3 list.

                Mike, I will check out your idea about the stain. Thanks.

                Mike Schwab
                San Lorenzo Southern