[HOn3] Re: St. Elmo

  • Kjb80401@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 31, 2011
      Just learned they have a website: _http://st-elmo-colorado.com/_
      (http://st-elmo-colorado.com/)

      Keevan

      In a message dated 8/31/2011 12:29:47 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
      vulturenest1@... writes:

      Great place for photos of weathered buildings and the hummingbirds are
      amazing.

    • Brett Payne
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 31, 2011
        Hart
        Just want to say how much I enjoy reading your emails to the group.

        One question. Does anyone know what sort of Boxcars (age, manufacturer, etc) these two were that Hart mentioned earlier today.

        Thanks
        Brett

        Sent from my iPhone

      • John Dowling
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 1, 2011
          Hart,

          I'll just echo what Brett said. Your posts are always well thought out, entertaining and informative. And you have truly been there and done that. Thanks for your contributions.

          It sounds like St. Elmo is healthy, and one hopes not in danger of becoming another Telluride.

          Things weren't so good when my dad took me up there around 1970. Almost all the buildings were vacant. The Starks were gone, and there was rubble from at least one fire. The roof of a dugout garage had collapsed onto two beautiful 1930's era trucks. It was all kind of sad.

          On the drive in there was a nasty rock outcrop in the road with a tire lying nearby. About half an hour later a guy in a jeep passed us in the other direction rolling on three tires and a rim! I'm still wondering if he knew he'd lost that tire.

          John

        • kmartin537@surewest.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 1, 2011
            Brett,

            The car that is almost gone is a 26' car.
            The other is a 27' car from the Kansas Central. the UP number is 25191.
            I am on a trip and don't have the C&S numbers with me.

            Ken Martin

            > One question. Does anyone know what sort of Boxcars (age, manufacturer, etc) ?
            > these two were that Hart mentioned earlier today.
            >
            > Thanks
            > Brett
          • hwcwsl
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 2, 2011
              John, my thanks to both you and Brett and everyone else for your kind words! They really are appreciated!

              Yes, St. Elmo is healthy. There are a number of buildings there with which the Colorado State Historical Society as been involved in restorations. They look good, although I don't have the knowledge to comment on the accuracy of their restorations.

              Besides our 1960 visit, we also were they in 1969, 1974,1981,1999, 2003, 2006, and a few days ago. I photograph it and the area (including Romley and Hancock) every time. For someone who hasn't been there, the town has a lot of "Old West" buildings to inspire modelers. A number of intact ones allegedly date back to 1881.

              Telluride it definitely is not and it does not appear likely to happen. But then we thought that about Telluride when we were there in 1960 when it had no place to stay and we could have bought a Victorian house and lot there for $3,000 per a sign in a very small real estate office. The paved road from Ridgway ended at Telluride then; very rough any further south.

              I hadn't heard about the dugout garage cave-in but I'm not surprised. The area from the highway on in was like that back then, as you say.

              BTW, we now have changed venues on our trip. Tonight we are in Bozeman, Montana.

              With best regards, Hart