Colorado Prototype

  • k27rgs
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 4, 2011
      Chama Locomotives

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkzSQR-WCog

      regards

      Mario
    • k27rgs
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 4, 2011
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaX9_J5UG2U

        regards to all

        "M"

        PS... I'm uploading all my library of vids for future narrow minded creators / artists / model makers. Seems a waste, that the images are sitting within the tape in a dark room. thanks for viewing and comments...cheers

        PSS... these will never replace the excellent NG publications that are available world wide.
      • Steven Haworth
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 4, 2011
          We all appreciate these - thanks !!!

          - Steven Haworth
          Rio Grande Southern RR site - http://rgsrr.home.comcast.net/

        • k27rgs
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 4, 2011
            Each morning the loco's are fed water, sand and coal

            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xte97gMLm0M

            cheers

            "M"

            PS. It's hard to describe how great it was to be at Chama, filming this, just as the sun was coming up
          • k27rgs
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 4, 2011
            • k27rgs
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 8, 2011
                I've recieved a couple of enquires regarding my vid.

                Why so much water overflowing when the tender is filled.????

                Hope someone has an answer

                cheers

                "M"
              • Tim Mulina
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 8, 2011
                  Mario,

                  One of what I expect to be a number of answers to your question.

                  Those big water tank spouts still have a lot of water in them once the
                  fireman cuts off the valve and IF they are paying close attention to the
                  water level, they are still going to be a fraction of a second past it
                  overflowing to shut it off. That is often what you see but the fireman wants
                  as much water as he can stuff into the tank as possible and I have seen them
                  leave it a bit past the full point to wash down the back tender deck of
                  cinders.

                  There are drains in the top of the tender deck for that excess water to
                  drain away but I bet in the past that the firemen paid a lot closer
                  attention to water level when it was more likely to freeze than they do
                  today when the trains are run for the most part only during warmer times. I
                  know there are pics of those drains in some of our loco books but I forget
                  which one off the top of my head, but on other tenders there are other ways
                  for the water to drain away.

                  Of course another answer to that is all of the time the fireman is standing
                  on the spout, he isn't shoveling tons of coal into the firebox too. In his
                  place I may tend to let it go for a few myself... out in the breeze and away
                  from the backhead/firebox door would be nice. :)

                  Tim Mulina
                  BHI Publications
                  http://www.quickpicbooks.com

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 8, 2011
                    The obvious answer is that guy controlling the valve didn't shut it off
                    until after it overflowed.

                    Keevan

                    In a message dated 8/8/2011 4:31:33 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
                    mjbd@... writes:

                    I've recieved a couple of enquires regarding my vid.

                    Why so much water overflowing when the tender is filled.????

                    Hope someone has an answer

                    cheers

                    "M"

                  • brian
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 8, 2011
                      ---
                      > Why so much water overflowing when the tender is filled.????
                      >
                      > Hope someone has an answer

                      Besides Tim M's very good answers, another was some engine crews ran extra water over the tender deck to wash off the cinders and coal grit. Could be they just wanted to keep things neat, or could be that the dust and grit was slippery when wet, and cleaning it off reduced the risk of the fireman or brakeman suffering a tumble on the deck.

                      best regards,

                      brian b
                    • Robert
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 8, 2011
                        From my own observations, it seems clear that the guys let it run on purpose for a while. They are simply standing there, watching it. And later, they add a bit of some chemical to the tender before they close the lid. But that's only after they turned off the water.

                        --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Kjb80401@... wrote:

                        > The obvious answer is that guy controlling the valve didn't shut it off
                        > until after it overflowed.
                        >
                        > Keevan

                      • Mark
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 8, 2011
                          Aw come on chaps. You drive into a gas station, fill up and the filler clicks when it senses an overflow. Then you trigger it again and guess what? Wait a bit and you can get another half gallon in there. That's what these fellows are doing - waiting for the air to come out while shooting another load in as well. The other parts are right too. The time lag and the wash down both happen.

                          Mark K
                          Oxford England.
                          --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rkfurrer@...> wrote:

                          > From my own observations, it seems clear that the guys let it run on purpose for a while. They are simply standing there, watching it. And later, they add a bit of some chemical to the tender before they close the lid. But that's only after they turned off the water.
                          >
                          > --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, Kjb80401@ wrote:
                          > >
                          > > The obvious answer is that guy controlling the valve didn't shut it off
                          > > until after it overflowed.
                          > >
                          > > Keevan

                        • k27rgs
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 7, 2013
                            Colorado Prototype - New Photos and 100's more to be added

                            enjoy

                            http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_janice___barry_dupler_-_colora.html

                            "M"