RE: [HOn3] Re: micro TSU lighting

  • Richard Johnson
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 3 9:04 PM
      "You probably haven't ruined the White wire output, just burned
      out the 1.5 bulb."

      Oh I know I burned out the white wire. That bridge diode, either I hooked up the polarity wrong, or it drew too much current. The tsu smoked and burned a hole in the purple shrink wrap. I hooked up the yellow wire to the bulb, bulb lit for a second then burned out.

      Thanks for all the info, I will put it to use.
      Rich Johnson

      www.RichardSJohnson.net

      "Those who enjoy freedom must endeavor to preserve it."

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 4 8:46 AM
        Richard -

        If you smoked the decoder it most likely had nothing to do with that
        headlight. More than likely you had a bare wire connection. These
        decoders are very sensitive to shorts. Don't be discouraged - we've
        all smoked a decoder - in my case I have smoked several. On your next
        one check all your wire connections to be sure they are completely
        insulated.

        Jim Vail

        > "You probably haven't ruined the White wire output, just burned
        > out the 1.5 bulb."
        >
        > Oh I know I burned out the white wire. That bridge diode, either I
        > hooked up the polarity wrong, or it drew too much current. The tsu
        > smoked and burned a hole in the purple shrink wrap. I hooked up the
        > yellow wire to the bulb, bulb lit for a second then burned out.
        >
        > Thanks for all the info, I will put it to use.
        > Rich Johnson
        >

        > www.RichardSJohnson.net
        >
        > "Those who enjoy freedom must endeavor to preserve it."
        >
        > "You probably haven't ruined the White wire output, just burned
        > out the 1.5 bulb."

      • Richard Johnson
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 4 12:05 PM
          Jim, it was defineately just the headlight output I smoked. I turned on head light after programming and heard the short sound and watched the decoder smoke from the side. (Tender shell off) I didn't get power pulled off the track quick enough. The TSU still runs the loco fine without a headlight.

          I have yet to smoke a whole decoder that was my fault. At the price of tsu's, I am beyond carefull at pulling wires, insulation and the like.

          Richard Johnson
        • Kent Hinton
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 7 2:30 PM
            Richard,

            I didn't see anyone address this previoulsy and perhaps you already know, but SoundTraxx has a 90-day "Safety Net" warranty. See their website for details: http://www.soundtraxx.com/support/decoderwarranty.php. Even if you are not covered by the warranty, it should be repairable at the $45 flat fee plus your cost of shipping to SoundTraxx. In your instance if you purcahsed the decoder more than 90 day ago, it sounds like it would be less expensive to add a function-only decoder, but I thought someone should mention the repair option.

            Kent