D&RGW passenger car paint match

  • narrowminded2003
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2011
      Hi
      I have two of the last run PSC D&RGW passenger cars and I'm trying to get a paint match. The color is fairly dark and I'm wondering if Scalecoat Pullman green is close?
      Bill Shiverdecker
    • rstrebendt
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 7, 2011
        --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "narrowminded2003" <bsdetails@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        > I have two of the last run PSC D&RGW passenger cars and I'm trying
        > to get a paint match. The color is fairly dark and I'm wondering if
        > Scalecoat Pullman green is close?

        A couple of thoughts:

        The best way to see is to paint a scrap with some of the paint and check the match when the paint is dry. However, I have found it just about impossible to get a perfect match to a factory paint job, particularly if the manufacturer used a custom paint mix.

        When you do check the match, be aware that some paints change color as they age. For example, Floquil Coach Green goes on a lot lighter than the shade of the aged paint. I did some touchup on a wood (LaBelle) car that I KNEW I painted Coach Green, and the new paint looked almost yellow in contrast. A few months later the new paint had aged enough that the color match was perfect.

        Rich Strebendt
      • Peter McGourty
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 7, 2011
          My question to you would be how long after the cars had been originally
          painted are you modeling?

          I know of no cars in service that remained the super dark green, and would
          have bleached at least a little bit in the sunlight. Even though the San
          Juan cars always looked spiffy.

          I have used both Floquill and Scale Coat, not that either was better, to get
          cars with slightly different shades of green into the same train.

          Pete

          >> I have two of the last run PSC D&RGW passenger cars and I'm trying
          >> to get a paint match. The color is fairly dark and I'm wondering if
          >> Scalecoat Pullman green is close?
          >
          > A couple of thoughts:

        • Rick
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 7, 2011
            I've painted some LaBelle coaches with my own mix of Pullman Green, Coach Green, and something else. I'm kind of anxious to see the color of the Blackstone coaches and if I like it I'll try to match it fairly closely then build some MRGS kits modified into a combine and RPO/baggage, then run them together, unless Blackstone announces combines and RPO/baggage cars.
          • Robin Gardner
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 7, 2011
              Are you guys painting these cars by hand or with airbrush? I ask because I just bought a few plastic kits (Rail LIne, Durango Press, MRGS) off of Ebay and don't have an airbrush. Will be in an apartment shortly for hopefully no more than a few months and look forward to building these kits for my dad who is just getting his old HOn3 Westside K-27 out to run on a small layout he is building.

              Rob Gardner

            • Kjb80401@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 8, 2011
                Rob,

                If you're going to paint large surface areas such as a whole car, spray
                painting is the way to go. In 1965, after painting things with brushes for
                years, I got a Binks Model B airbrush and haven't looked back since.

                Keevan