Re: John Allen Book

  • hobbies1948
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 5 1:22 PM
      Micro Mark has it advertised at $59.95, as a pre-order as of this post. It couldn't hurt to give them a call to see if they actually have copies in stock and haven't updated the ad page yet....

      http://www.micromark.com/Model-Railroading-With-John-Allen-Expanded-Hardcover-Edition-Shipments-Arriving-WeeklyPlace-You,9892.html

      Thought I should let folks here know that in the G&D Yahoo group there have been some posts about one page being a reprint of another page and a printing errata sheet being included about that, andome have reported receiving copies with corner damage, others say their copy is fine.

      I've got a really good condition 1982 2nd printing edition off Ebay a while back that I'm happy with.

      Bruce
    • Nolan Hinshaw
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5 2:18 PM
        On Feb 5, 2011, at 12:42 PM, Jim Vail wrote:

        > I've just received the new hard cover reprint "Model Railroading with
        > John Allen". I've been waiting for this book about "The Wizard of
        > Monterey" who was inspiring to most of us, and a mentor to me
        > personally. What a great modeler and great guy!
        >
        > This expanded edition of a long out of print book has been published
        > by Benchmark Publications and is available from editor Bob Hayden at
        > Hayden Consulting, www.bobhayden.com, 505-466-4970. But I bet you can
        > also get them at your local hobby shop.

        Now you've gonandunnit! I have the earlier Kalmbach edition[0], and it's
        the feline's nightware. If the expansion of the expanded edition has
        the right stuff, I'll probably need to visit my LHS for the update.
        Can you elaborate on the expansion?

        [0] second printing, January 1982
        --
        Nolan Hinshaw, native Californian since 1944
        Perpetrator of the portrait of you and your Mexican outside-
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6 10:07 AM
          I never had the book before so I'm not sure what the new additions
          are. There are quite a few pages at the end of the book devoted to
          lists of all of John's published work - articles and supplier ads. I
          assume these are new.

          Jim Vail

          On 2/5/2011 2:18 PM, Nolan Hinshaw wrote:

          > On Feb 5, 2011, at 12:42 PM, Jim Vail wrote:
          >
          > Now you've gonandunnit! I have the earlier Kalmbach edition[0], and it's
          > the feline's nightware. If the expansion of the expanded edition has
          > the right stuff, I'll probably need to visit my LHS for the update.
          > Can you elaborate on the expansion?
          >
          > [0] second printing, January 1982
          > --
          > Nolan Hinshaw, native Californian since 1944
          > Perpetrator of the portrait of you and your Mexican outside-
          > frame 2-8-0 at GGLS Redwood Regional Park oh so many years ago

        • Henry Wagner
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 6 10:44 PM
            There's an ad for the book in the new issue of the Gazette that says "160
            pages containing the original content plus added reproductions of
            advertising photos that John took for Pacific Fast Mail, and a complete list
            of John's photos and articles compiled by Jeffrey L. Witt."

            Henry
          • hobbies1948
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 7 11:14 AM
              Has anyone got a copy that has one page reprinted twice and/or with damaged corners? A few such incidents have been mentioned by folks in another group who got some of the first copies.

              Bruce