Re: [HOn3] How well do the old Kemtron C16's run?

    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
      I've got to agree with Wayne - you just about can't beat a Westside
      Model Company C16 for running and pulling ability, or for price -
      particularly those with coreless motors in the boiler. If one has an
      open frame motor or a problem, then use one of LocoDoc's remotor kits.

      Jim Vail

      On 1/31/2011 12:25 PM, RoundBell@... wrote:

      > There are several versions produced over the years, each with their own
      > plusses and minuses. I personally think the Westside C-16 is so much
      > better a
      > starting point for a good C-16 that I havn't worked on a Kemtron in 30
      > years. LocoDoc

    • Wolfgang Dudler
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
        Am 01.02.2011 09:56, schrieb Jim Vail:
        > I've got to agree with Wayne - you just about can't beat a Westside
        > Model Company C16 for running and pulling ability, or for price -
        > particularly those with coreless motors in the boiler. If one has an
        > open frame motor or a problem, then use one of LocoDoc's remotor kits.
        >
        > Jim Vail
        ok, but for DCC you have to add additional pick ups, install a decoder.
        If you have to have someone for this, it will increase the price. And
        you come over Blackstone price perhaps.
        For startes in Hon3 this will be a problem.

        --
        Wolfgang
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
          In a message dated 2/1/2011 3:56:27 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
          akacoot@... writes:

          particularly those with coreless motors in the boiler. If one has an
          open frame motor or a problem, then use one of LocoDoc's remotor kits
          Hello Jim--you advocate scratch building which is great. But when it comes
          to locomotives many of us collect many more than we could possibly operate
          at one time. I personably like building c-16s of the 1920 era--how many
          Westside # 278s can I use or collect? The Kemtron kits offer the class
          60/C-16s from the 1881 era to the 50s. Yes they are a lot of work but we all have
          our own ideas of what makes model rring fun.
          Looks like Blackstone is on the right track with the new c-19s in the
          20s/30s era when there was so much more to model. They (Blackstone) are very
          popular and deservedly so--the downside? less scratch-building and
          kit-bashing. They did inspire me to add sound to many of my locomotives, which is a
          great step forward.
          Bob Veefkind

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
            Wolfgang -

            The original subject was C16's and the question was on Kemtron C16's
            specificly. And both Wayne and I voiced the opinion that the Westside
            C16's were a better starting point for modeling purposes. You will
            have all the same costs associated with the kemtron locomotive as on
            the Westside locomotive - and very likely more costs - probably more
            total cost than a Blackstone locomotive. But it is a C16 and not a
            C19 or a K27!

            Decoders are not that hard to install. Just take your time and go
            step by step. I've burned out some decoders in the learning process,
            but its far easier now and I have built my confidence. I've done 8 C16's.

            Jim Vail

            On 2/1/2011 1:28 AM, Wolfgang Dudler wrote:

            > > Jim Vail
            > ok, but for DCC you have to add additional pick ups, install a decoder.
            > If you have to have someone for this, it will increase the price. And
            > you come over Blackstone price perhaps.
            > For startes in Hon3 this will be a problem.
            >
            > --
            > Wolfgang

          • Wolfgang Dudler
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
              Am 01.02.2011 18:43, schrieb Jim Vail:
              > Wolfgang -
              >
              > The original subject was C16's and the question was on Kemtron C16's
              > specificly. And both Wayne and I voiced the opinion that the Westside
              > C16's were a better starting point for modeling purposes. You will
              > have all the same costs associated with the kemtron locomotive as on
              > the Westside locomotive - and very likely more costs - probably more
              > total cost than a Blackstone locomotive. But it is a C16 and not a
              > C19 or a K27!
              >
              > Decoders are not that hard to install. Just take your time and go
              > step by step. I've burned out some decoders in the learning process,
              > but its far easier now and I have built my confidence. I've done 8 C16's.
              >
              > Jim Vail
              Thank you for bolstering up. I have still one Westside C-16, still brass
              and AC. She's waiting...
              Which decoder would you suggest for a C-16?

              --
              Wolfgang
              --
              Westport Terminal RR
              We can switch it, day by day -
              just in time - and safe
              Come to us http://www.westportterminal.de
            • marklinbr01
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
                I do love how well the Westside C16's run, used to have both 278 and a 268 in the bumblebee. I just dont like how much the C16's fetch price wise when compared to same era/importer K class engines. I originaly wanted to find a resonably priced 268 in the bee colors and model the last years running the Gunnsion Colarado. But never found one that was decent below $500 bucks. I found a Nevada Co narrow gauge #9 from Westside that I could afford, already pro painted and with DCC installed. Now if someone wants to swap for a C16, by all means I am all ears. I also have a OMI Southern RR GP50 that is pro painted with DCC/Sound that needs a new home that I would do some swapping with. After giving up on a bumblebee C16, I was trying to locate a PFM or Westside SPng ten wheeler, didnt have any luck thier either in my price range. Thanks for the info on the old Kemtron model, it was intersting. Mike

                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 1, 2011
                  I have used the Soundtraxx Tsunami 750 (3/4 Amp.) decoders and the
                  Soundtraxx 3/4"diameter speakers in all my C16's. I've posted a
                  couple videos of my Westside C16's on U Tube.

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvqQ6g2bGng

                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDuxUwTaEHI

                  Jim Vail

                  > Thank you for bolstering up. I have still one Westside C-16, still
                  > brass
                  > and AC. She's waiting...
                  > Which decoder would you suggest for a C-16?
                  >
                  > --
                  > Wolfgang
                  > --

                • Jeffrey J. Brundt
                  Message 8 of 15 , Feb 4, 2011
                    "I've got to agree with Wayne - you just about can't beat a Westside
                    Model Company C16 for running and pulling ability, or for price -
                    particularly those with coreless motors in the boiler. If one has an
                    open frame motor or a problem, then use one of LocoDoc's remotor kits.

                    Jim Vail"

                    I have two different boxings of the Westside C-16's but they both have the open
                    frame motors. One is brand new and never run and the other is on my layout now.
                    It runs well but the slow speed performance could be better. I get a bit
                    overwhelmed looking at Locodoc's website as to which upgrade set I need to order
                    for this engine. I believe it's the "K-1" set he sells but am not 100%. I'd like
                    to re-motor my one C-16 and add the DCC decoder he sells. It looks like that
                    includes a light as well for the headlamp but I can't be sure. My plan is to run
                    it as DC for a while until the track work is finalized and I can install my
                    Digitrax system that's waiting patiently in the box. I've tried emailing in the
                    past but I have never received a reply. Perhaps his email bounces messages from
                    Yahoo email addresses.

                    Jeff

                    Message 9 of 15 , Feb 4, 2011
                      Call him, he usually answers.  Email can be unreliable.
                       Mike Conder