[ON TOPIC] trucks for Rail Line hon3 flatcar

  • Jerry Kemp - HOn3 email
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 1999
      Hello,

      I picked up a Rail Line HOn3 Idler flat car the other day
      and I am looking for a suggestion for trucks for this model.

      For those of you who have not seen the model I will describe
      the situation. Where trucks should/will be mounted, there is
      a (for lack of a better term) a pin projecting down about
      3/16" approx. as I am guestimating it. These "pins" as I have
      named them do not appear to be flash.

      After reading over the instruction page a couple of times the
      only mention of trucks I see are under assembly instruction 4 which
      reads 3'7" wheelbase trucks were used on the prototype. There is
      no other mention of trucks on the instruction sheet. I am sure
      that if I have missed someone can correct me. :)

      Is there actually a truck that will fit over these pins that I
      can purchase??? Should I cut them off and drill/tap a hole for
      some regular trucks??? Help!!

      Thank you,

      Jerry Kemp
    • Jonathan Allen
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 1999
        Did the kit come with two little ring things?The boxcar does,as well as the
        projections.The instructions call them ''pegs''(the projections) and say to
        install trucks and slip the rings over.They didn't say what kind of trucks
        to use,though.What do the rest of y'all say?

      • EandPng@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 1999
          Jerry,

          I cut off these pins on all of Rail Line's cars. I then drill a hole and use
          the self taping screw that comes with the Grandt Line trucks that I like to
          use. Jim Vale described this in an old issue of NG&SLG in an article on
          building the Rail Line boxcar.

          Regards,
          Greg Maxwell
        • Chris C Short
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 1999
            Grandt Line 3'-7" D&RGW Archbars?

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 1999
              > Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 20:44:11 -0600 (CST)
              > From: Jerry Kemp - HOn3 email <hon3@...>
              > Hello,
              >
              > I picked up a Rail Line HOn3 Idler flat car the other day
              > and I am looking for a suggestion for trucks for this model.

              I believe that the pins and retaining rings were ment to substitute
              for the #2 screws that were still standard on HOn3 trucks when the
              Rail Line dies were cut. Kemtron, WestSide and Tomalco all had such
              trucks, with brass strap bolsters punched for a #2 screw. Now most
              manufactures provide a cast truck bolster that takes a #0 or 1.4mm
              screw, and may still need the screw head filed narrower. So you will
              probably need to cut and drill. Most everybody who ever sold an HOn3
              truck started with the correct D&RGW 3'7" archbar prototype, so you
              have lots of choices.

              John Stutz
            • Benders, Frans (GEP)
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 3, 1999
                Don't you guys mean 3' 7" wheel based trucks?
                Frank

                > ----------

              • Jerry Kemp - HOn3 email
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 3, 1999
                  Hello,

                  I just wanted to say thanks for everyone's comments on my kit.
                  I had pretty much come to the conclusion that I needed to cut
                  the pins off and drill holes, but I just needed to hear someone
                  else say it before I cut them off.

                  Thanks again,

                  Jerry Kemp
                • AKACOOT@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 5, 1999
                    In a message dated 12/2/1999 8:44:38 PM Central Standard Time,
                    hon3@... writes:

                    << There is
                    no other mention of trucks on the instruction sheet. >>

                    Jerry - The correct trucks for this car are Grandt #5110 (brown) or #5111
                    (black if you can't get the brown). The correct D&RGW 3''7" trucks are also
                    made by Precision Scale and Rio Grande Models. The easiest way to mount
                    these is with a screw like everyone says. Problem with the #0 self-tapping
                    screw is that it starts tearing the hole apart when you take it back out -
                    like when you're going to paint the car, adjust the trucks for operation or
                    replace a coupler after a mishap. I like to cut off the car's pin, drill
                    thru #55, tap #0-80 and mount the truck with a round head 0-80 screw. I put
                    a little white glue on the screw to hold it in position when I'm done.

                    Jim Vail
                  • Lugg William H Civ SMC Det 11 /CZGI
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 8, 1999
                      Just out of curiosity, since this is a flat car we're talking about, do you
                      drill through and cover the hole up with a load or drill short of the floor
                      surface and use a bottoming tap?

                      Thanks.
                      --------------------------------------
                      Bill Lugg
                      Systems Engineer,
                      GPS Control Segment
                      Systems Engineering, Integration & Test IPT
                      SMC Det 11/CZGI, Peterson AFB, CO

                      William.Lugg@... <mailto:william.lugg@...>
                      Jone's Law: The man who can smile when things go wrong ... has thought of
                      someone he can blame it on.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 8, 1999
                        In a message dated 12/8/1999 2:09:02 PM Central Standard Time,
                        William.Lugg@... writes:

                        << do you
                        drill through and cover the hole up with a load or drill short of the floor
                        surface and use a bottoming tap? >>

                        These Railine flats are "idler flats" converted from 3000 series boxcars.
                        Since they are idler flats as used in the 1950's - 1960's era pipe trains
                        they generally had no loads. I have drilled thru the floor on mine, snipped
                        off the screw and filed it flat to the car deck, and then painted it (you
                        have to paint and weather the whole deck anyway).

                        Jim Vail
                      • AKACOOT@xxx.xxx
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 8, 1999
                          In a message dated 12/8/1999 9:44:42 PM Central Standard Time, AKACOOT writes:

                          << These Railine flats are "idler flats" converted from 3000 series boxcars.

                          I blew it.

                          The Railine flats model those idler flats that the D&RGW made from 30' stock
                          cars. Trout Creek Engineering has the kits to model the idler flats made
                          from 30' box cars (previously the Tomalco kits). And the new Durango Press
                          has the x-Micro Engineering, x-Clear Creek kits to model the idler flats
                          made from hi-side gons. I personally like these DP cars because they have
                          good weight with their lead sheet enclosed between the 2-piece floor. And
                          you can drill and tap thru the floor bottom and the weight before adding the
                          top deck.

                          Pictures of many of these cars show in my Nov/Dec 91 GAZETTE article.