Kadee Couplers

  • dlgraley@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 3, 2010
      Hello Folks, I'm still getting my feet wet in HOn3. Which Kadees do you prefer to use on your engines and rolling stock? Thanks. Dave

    • Wolfgang Dudler
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 3, 2010
        Am 04.11.2010 02:43, schrieb dlgraley@...:
        > Hello Folks, I'm still getting my feet wet in HOn3. Which Kadees do you prefer to use on your engines and rolling stock? Thanks. Dave

        Kadee # 713 or # 714.

        --
        Wolfgang
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 3, 2010
          Kadee #714 couplers have been the HOn3 standard for many years - they
          are black. Kadee now makes #713 - same coupler but hey are a
          red-brown coupler. Some people prefer to use the N scale couplers
          because they are smaller and more prototype for the Easter roads.
          Some folks have also used the Kadee #58 couplers - same size as the
          #714's but they are a different design. I have tried them but they
          won't stay coupled for me!

          Jim Vail

          On 11/3/2010 6:43 PM, dlgraley@... wrote:

          > Hello Folks, I'm still getting my feet wet in HOn3. Which Kadees do
          > you prefer to use on your engines and rolling stock? Thanks. Dave

        • Mark
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 4, 2010
            Dave,

            As Wolfgang and Jim have indicated, most use the 713/ 714 combination but they're modeling Colorado lines. The 58 is a little bigger and closer to the DRGW version. The EBT used smaller couplers, close to an N scale like those found on MT's cars and the SPNG used the smallest of them all.

            Then of course there are the Sargant couplers....

            Mark K

            > Hello Folks, I'm still getting my feet wet in HOn3. Which Kadees do you prefer to use on your engines and rolling stock? Thanks. Dave
          • David Pinkley
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 4, 2010
              This helped me, Great topic!
              David
            • Jonathan Zook
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 4, 2010
                I'm standardizing on Kadee 713/714 couplers mostly because of my large fleet of Blackstone cars. They're not as realistic in appearance as #58's or Sergent Engineering couplers. I converted all of my MicroTrains cars to have Kadee 714 couplers. I didn't like how small the M-T couplers looked compared to the 714's.

                I dabbled with Sergent couplers for a little while, and I like them a lot. My only complaint is there's a fair amount of modification needed to get them to fit into a Kadee 714 coupler box. That's a lot of work necessary for all the Blackstone cars I own. I haven't given up on Sergent entirely, but I need to pick my battles right now and I'm comfortable with the Kadee's.

                Hope this helps!

                Jon
              • dlgraley@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 4, 2010