This week on the B&CC...

  • Ryan Moats
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2010
      . has been all about brass frames for the saddle tank engines and getting a
      cutout that can fold into a frame that fits around the motors and wheel
      sets. It took several iterations (I've become very good friends with my
      jeweler's saw and mini scroll saw) but I finally have a frame that the
      motor/gear box drops into and drops over the dummy axles. I've uploaded
      side and bottom view photos to the Blackhawk and Central City album (and
      discovered that you can't do albums in albums - so I had to clean up after
      myself). While I had the camera out, I shot photos of my test modules for
      the 2-way and 3-way #4 stub switches to make sure I understood all the parts
      of what I want to do (i.e. spiking, weathering rails and ties, ballasting
      and wiring - although I didn't take photos of the underside of the modules
      to show the wiring) and uploaded those. I also have a test module of a 14
      degree crossing that I thought I was going to need in the layout - that's
      what the side shots of the motors are taken on. Also, while I was at it, I
      pulled out my rolling stock and took the photos I've been promising myself
      I'd do when I "got around to it". So I've pulled the old example car photos
      out and replaced them with new photos of all my cars, including pictures of
      the interiors of the house, combine, and caboose cars. The next couple of
      weeks are set aside for laying track while the order I'm placing with PSC
      finds its way to me.

      Enjoy!

      Ryan

    • ftgcss
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2010
        Ryan,

        Looking good, I really like that some of those old passenger cars. Are those working link and pin couplers?

        Scott

      • jcmm3030@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2010
          Ryan--

          Where'd you get the cylinder block and what did you use for the
          drivers? John C.

        • Ryan Moats
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 2, 2010
            Scott-

            Yes sir, they are. The end sills, pockets, links and pins are from Comstock
            Carshops in CA. I plan on using "U-joints" made from wire for operational
            sessions (an idea I got from the On3 folks).

            Ryan

            > Ryan,
            >
            > Looking good, I really like that some of those old passenger cars. Are
            those working link and pin couplers?

            > Scott
          • Ryan Moats
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2010
              > Ryan--
              >
              > Where'd you get the cylinder block and what did you use for the
              > drivers? John C.

              The cylinder block is from PSC and is (as I remember) a slight bit
              oversized, but I wasn't looking to custom cast things at this point. If you
              are interested, I can dig up the specific part number and size
              information...

              if you look closely, you'll see that the drivers are actually only spoked
              wheels and are not finished at this point yet.
              After much research, I decided to use the 33"/110 spoked wheels that NWSL
              provides on HOn3 axles with shoulders. I've laid out wheel bosses that will
              be cut from sheet brass and then soldered to the axles to convert the wheels
              to drivers, then cut and grind the axles flush. I'm planning on using PSC
              crank pins and some sort of epoxy/putty compound carefully applied between
              the spokes to form the counterweights.

              Ryan
            • jcmm3030@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 3, 2010
                Ryan--
                Thanks for the info. What kind of camera do you use for this
                work? John C.

              • Ryan Moats
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 4, 2010
                  I'm using a Canon ProShot A80 Digital Camera set in its "P mode" (i.e. auto
                  select the shutter speed and aperture value) and Canon's "macro mode" for
                  shooting objects from 2 in to 1.5 ft away at wide angle. The camera is set
                  to resolve at 2272 pixelsx1704 pixels (max image size) and I use a 14 degree
                  HOn3 crossing module that I built that allows the camera to be set up on a
                  flat surface within 6 inches from the object being shot. After shooting the
                  photos, I used gimp 2 to crop out uninteresting parts to get what I posted
                  (hence the oddball image sizes).

                  Hope this helps,
                  Ryan Moats