RE: [HOn3] Ken Kidder 0-4-0 Improvements for running qualities

  • Glenn
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2010
      Thanks Darryl,

      I purchased the HO version in 1965 for a whopping $10.95. It ran well except
      for the pronounced duck-like waddle. Later I acquired an HOn3 version and
      more recently a few more. Surprisingly they have a 5-pole KTM motor for
      power.

      The most recent acquisition, two weeks ago, is a basket case. It's not all
      there. I think the original owner gave up reworking it as parts are missing.
      He had replaced the motor with a can motor and a new worm and quit.

      That was as far as he got, the electric pickup is missing and there are no
      motor wires. The cab was replaced, but the boiler front is missing. Unless
      these had an evolution there is a new tube boiler. All my others have sheet
      brass boilers.

      A while back I checked with NWSL about regearing the loco. They recommended
      a .05 MOD worm with a 2.4mm bore on the original motor or a 20x27 can motor
      with a new 2mm bore worm. This motor has a low 9500 RPM.

      A couple of years ago I saw the 0-4-4-0 HOn3 version at an open house. It
      was stock except for having DCC installed. It did not waddle. This version
      was just the 0-4-0 pushing a non-powered chassis. Just the addition of the
      second set of wheels stiffened the engine.

      I wonder if making a pseudo 0-4-4 Forney would stiffen the waddle. The rear
      truck would have to swing like a trailing truck supporting, but not attached
      to the tender portion.

      Glenn
    • Glenn
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2010
        One of these puppies just sold on eBay for $ 103.48 with 8 people bidding on
        it.

        Another one is listed with a starting bid of 129.99. No bidders.

        Glenn

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2010
          Glen,

          I had a hobby shop back when these were still available from Ken Kidder so I
          had plenty to play with back then.

          I'm sure I have a box somewhere with the remains of the one I used for an
          On30 steam dummy back about 1973.

          And a couple of other basket cases that I tried to make other projects with.

          If I had an intact 0-4-0 I would sell it on EBay for sure.

          I tried to make an On30 Forney one time back about 1970 and found I could
          never get the rear truck to work right so I have no suggestions for you if
          you want to try to make an 0-4-4 Forney.

          Sorry.

          I always liked watching the things waddle down the track.

          Darryl Huffman
          12020 Old Seward Highway
          Anchorage, Alaska 99515
          darrylhuffman@...

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2010
            Daryl,

            The trick is to extend the frame, then hook on the rear truck like the
            trailing truck under a normal locomotive.

            Use the same springing method. The spring rubs on a flat area under the fuel
            bunker. There will be enough friction to stop the waddle.

            I used this method on a standard gauge dockside On30 conversion. But in this
            case the drawbar for the trailing truck continued past the truck and
            supported the coupler. That kept the coupler closer to the center of the
            track on sharp curves and avoided whipping the trailing cars off the track.

            The bearing surface for the spring was recessed upward into the fuel bunker
            shell.

            I think if you had the frame, wheels, rods, and cylinders you could sell it
            on eBay. Large scale modelers (On20) like this chassis for small 4-coupled
            engines. It's hard to find 4-wheel steam mechanisms, expressly outside
            framed.

            I bought a kit of Walschaerts valve gear from Bowser. One of these engines
            will have it applied. After all, the fist application of this valve gear in
            the US was on the 3-foot gauge Mason Bogie for the DSP&P.

            Glenn

            BTW: back in '98 I had the opportunity to operate a real PRR B6sb 0-6-0. It
            too waddled down the track, but not as much.