Re: . . . . . and Lighting Recommendations

  • Jim Spencer
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 2, 2010
      Regarding LED ribbon lights, I recently purchased a couple hundred
      feet of LED "rope lights" which would be roughly the equivalent from
      Home Depot. They also have the true ribbon lights, albeit only in
      short strips. I used mine in an outdoor application. The rope lights
      are quite a bit cheaper than the ribbon lights and come in a slightly
      warm daylight color -- very pleasing. They are sold under the
      "Hampton Bay" label. They produce almost no heat and use very little
      power.

      Be careful though not to buy the incandescent rope lights they still
      sell which are being phased out and may be priced very low. The
      incandescent packaging is labeled with a capital "I". The LED lights
      are labeled with a capital "L". (I made that mistake).

      The LED lights are also priced higher than their incandescent
      counterparts, albeit dropping quickly as manufacturing capacity
      rises. They are the future of layout lighting, in my opinion.

      Jim
      James G. Spencer, Architect, AIA
      trainmanjs@...
    • Don Bergman
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 9, 2010
        George, et al

        Early August there was information about the LED ribbon lights. I tried to
        locate some in the Holland / Grand Rapids Michigan are and getting prices
        from $7.95 LED rope light to LED tape light at $39 a foot. A little
        confused as some suppliers are calling it tape light or rope light. Is the
        actual name "Ribbon" light? With the sample at $8.00 for 18" I presume
        that I am looking at the $7.95 per foot range. What should I expect to pay
        for the product you are using. Any additional information is appreciated.
        Can you give us information on the supplier? Does the product take a
        special power source? If so what kind and how much does it cost?

        I have several lower deck areas of close clearance. I tried the old
        incandescent rope lights in the past but they never put out enough light.

        Don Bergman
        Holland, MI