Re: [HOn3] So, how do *you* throw an HO-scale three way stub switch?

  • Wolfgang Dudler
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2010
      > Folks-
      >
      > The Blackhawk and Central City is currently looking for six HO scale
      > three-way symmetrical #4 stub switches. I've got most of the scale drawing
      > done, and after building 36 two-way #4 stubs, assembly isn't my main issue.
      > Neither am I worried about powering them, as I've already worked out the
      > frog power tables (they aren't all that difficult). What's got me going
      > "hmmm" is how to handle the bridle throw mechanism, especially for the
      > middle rail. I've seen various stop mechanisms used for two-way stubs (and
      > of course those work for the left and right diverging routes), but for the
      > life of me I can't see a good way to "foolproof" stopping at the middle
      > rail. I've got some vague ideas about using a sliding knob in the layout
      > facia with "drops" for each of the positions, but that's all they are - just
      > vague notions. So, who out there has one or more three-way stub switches and
      > how do you throw them?
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      > Ryan
      I've thought about this, mechanically.
      My idea was a throw bar with stops at the ends. In the middle should be
      a notch. Some type of spring would go into the notch and give the exact
      position. I would use as spring a brass sheet and bend it at the end
      like the V from the notch.

      For now I haven't built it. There're only two "normal" stub switches at
      my Silver Creek and one at the new Salina, code 55 and the last one with
      code 40.
      http://westportterminal.blip.tv/file/2598068/

      --
      Wolfgang
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2010
        On an old club layout we had a three way dual gauge switch. To throw
        it we had a throw rod under the layout. this was connected to a
        center off toggle switch and then connected with a spring wire to the
        throw rod from the switch(turnout). It was aligned so the center off
        was lined for the center track. It worked fine till we lost our lease
        and had to tear the layout out.

        Ken Martin
        Sacramento

        On Jul 29, 2010, at 5:46 PM, Ryan Moats wrote:

        > So, who out there has one or more three-way stub switches and
        > how do you throw them?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        > Ryan

      • Clifford Mestel
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2010
          Hi Ryan;

          BK enterprises has a slow motion switch motor that is designed for 3-way stubs.

          Contact us at: bktruscale@... for more information

          Clifford A. Mestel
          BK Enterprises

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2010
            for the
            > life of me I can't see a good way to "foolproof" stopping at the middle
            > rail. I've got some vague ideas about using a sliding knob in the layout
            > facia with "drops" for each of the positions, but that's all they are - just
            > vague notions. So, who out there has one or more three-way stub switches and
            > how do you throw them?
            >
            > Thanks in advance,
            > Ryan

            I do my threeways like this:
            http://www.railwayeng.com/threeway/index.htm

            They work flawlessly and have for 12 years.
            -Steve Hatch
          • Jeff Reynolds
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2010
              Ryan,
              I've made, installed and used 7, 3-way stubs on "Mears' Madness". One
              (the only code 70) is a number 6, one side and the other side is in
              all curvature. Three, 3-ways are no. 5 or 6 in code 55. The rest are
              in code 40. One in Rico is another 'unequalateral'. Some have a
              straight section after the frog, some are in constant curvature thru
              the frog.
              Before we moved to current location, I had a no. 10, code 70, three-
              way stub at the lower end of the Ridgeway yards. It was sweet, being
              the only switch on the layout that approximated the real thing in
              terms of breadth. The switch was about 17" long (including the moving
              part of the flying rails).
              The solution to control for me was auto choke cables. All 80 of my
              turnouts are actuated with choke cables (or detent loaded rod pulls),
              some very long (the 'truck' version). I used P.C. tie board ties as
              bridle irons, 0090" bolts soldered to the bottom of the ends of the
              flying rails, through the holes (in gage) in the tie and bolts
              soldered(with a little bit of play). The flying rails then can pivot
              on the bolts (tiny as they are) and keep the gage well. After using
              this system for 25 years, I've had very good luck with longivity and
              endurance.
              Once the switch is laid, I find the right and left outside lineup
              location and drive a brad into the layout (at the end of the 'switch'
              tie) as a stopper (at least down to wood), then snip the head off. It
              is almost invisible. I use two micro switches to switch the frogs. Two
              of the routes use the same micro switch. With the 'outside' routes
              with stoppers, the only real technique involved is the center route.
              It must lined up by eye. Fortunately, all my 3-ways are near the edge
              of the layout so leaning over occasionally is not a problem.
              We're in Denver currently, and I am feeling the itch to start
              modelling again.
              regards, as always, jefe
            • Nolan Hinshaw
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2010
                On Aug 1, 2010, at 7:30 AM, Kenneth Martin wrote:

                > On an old club layout we had a three way dual gauge switch.

                [Hmmmm -- that has a familiar feel to it]

                > It worked fine till we lost our lease and had to tear the layout out.

                Aha! Sad day it was when Clancy lowered the boom.

                --
                Nolan Hinshaw, native Californian since 1944
                Ex-SMRRC, Ex-SVLS, former Rogers Yard git with