Re: [HOn3] . . . . . and Lighting Recommendations

  • lloyd lehrer
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 31, 2010
      George; What is the source for the led ribbon lights you are using?

      On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 6:07 PM, g hohon3 <hohon3@...> wrote:

      > Mike,
      >
      > On the issue of lighting, research LED ribbon lights before you invest any
      > cash in flourescents. I just recently discovered them and since I installed
      > my first set, I'm so pleased with them, I'm thinking of re-doing all the
      > existing lights on the layout. These LED ribbons are color correct for
      > daylight, they basically eliminate hard shadows, they're always cool, they
      > don't make any noise or buzz, they rarely 'burn out' and they're dimmable.
      > And if you're not sure about using them, you can order a sample size (about
      > 18" worth) for about $8. I'd bet if you tired them, you'd never think about
      > using flourescents or any other type of light again.
      >
      > George
      >
      > Lighting Question:
      > I'm building an operations oriented shelf layout about 8'x12' along two
      > walls varying 2-ft to 4-ft from the walls. My thought is to use flourescent
      > lighting giving a daytime color rendering. I may use halogen spot lighting
      > to produce shadows. My plan is to build the layout with a "picturebox"
      > ("shadowbox?") presentation so that the lighting is mounted behind the
      > valance. First Question: What are some lighting recommendations that will
      > produce a daytime color rendering (please be specific)? Second question:
      > what are some sources of this lighting?
      >
      > Thanks for any help.
      > Mike

      lloyd 310 951-9097

    • Pete Blake
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1, 2010
        Hi Mike,

        The others have given you their advice re using / not using cork and I agree. With regard to the lighting aspect...have you considered using flexible LED strips. [ just type' flexible led strips' into your browser and go from there...dozens of choices ). These usually come in 5 metre strips on a reel for about $26.00 from the Far East and are 12vdc powered so you can use an old train psu . You can cut them down to a section with two or three LED's on it so if you don't like the idea, you can use them to light your coaches or buildings.....nothing wasted.The LED's are available in "cool white" and "warm white"........the cool white is a little too blue for my tastes...a bit like the early Kato headlights. I've tried them on track voltage which probably cuts down their life to about 150 years but they are as bright as a super-nova and fully able to illuminate everything in sight !!....oh , and I didn't say, they have a peel and stick backing too.

        Rgds, Pete.
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1, 2010
          Dear All, I got mine from Topbright who have an e-bay site...item No. is :-370337858135 5m warm white SMD 3528 flexible 300 LED's strip.

          Pete.

          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 1, 2010
            Jim,

            Try LEDwholesalers, that's where I bought several of their 18" sample ribbons so I could actually see the difference between "white" lights they have. It's also the place I got the dimmer.

            George

            To: HOn3@yahoogroups.com
            From: wwww5960@...
            Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 18:20:11 -0700
            Subject: Re: [HOn3] . . . . . and Lighting Recommendations

            Mike .......where did you get them???.......Jim Williams

          • g hohon3
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 1, 2010
              Lloyd,

              I bought mine from LEDwholesalers. I'm using their 'warm white' 300 SMD ribbon, non-waterproof type. I'm also using their dimmer to control the light intensity. I strongly recommend anyone wanting to try this type of lighting to experiment with the 18" sample lights to actually 'see' how different lights might look in your layout environment.

              George

              To: HOn3@yahoogroups.com
              From: ho.guy@...
              Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 23:24:36 -0700

            • Kjb80401@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 1, 2010
                A suggested use: Mount them on the backside of the fascia you have
                installed along the front edge of your layout. The intention is to illuminate the
                floor area in front of the layout for nightime operation safety and
                decorative ambiance. I did a similar installation years ago using incandescent
                'rope lights'. LED's make it an improved technology usage.

                Another: Hold your scenery a couple inches away from the wall or backdrop.
                Install white, red, blue, and yellow LED strips in such a manner they
                will wash light up the wall or background. Since they are dimmable, varying
                the brightness of each string will create sunrise, sunset, or daylight
                effects. This has been done in the past using 'rope lights'.

                BTW, LED 'rope lights' are also now available somewhere. So is flexible
                'light tape'.

                Keevan

                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 2, 2010
                  Mike (threefootrr) wrote:

                  > Thanks your recommendations on the ballast. The info will come in quite
                  > handy. Now I have a a couple more questions on roadbed and lighting.
                  >
                  > Roadbed Question: ... Because I want to achieve
                  > varying track heights for the mainline, siding, and spurs, my plan is to
                  > use 1/8" and 1/16" sheet cork.
                  The variation in levels should look good, but you will need to
                  consider vertical curvature in going between the different levels.
                  Couplers can separate if the change of grade is too abrupt. Someone
                  suggested warping the plywood base to achieve this, which should give
                  good smooth curves but may be difficult to arrange. I suggest a heavy
                  level plywood sheet for reference and support, with 1/8"(3mm) ply sub
                  grade shimmed for the different levels, and homosote on top for sound
                  deadening. Run the ply strips continuously between the different
                  levels and you should get good smooth vertical curves.

                  > Lighting Question:...
                  Consider LEDs also. The http://www.ledwholesalers.com/ may be a good
                  place to start.

                  John Stutz
                • Hart Corbett
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 2, 2010
                    All:

                    For finding all sorts of types, colors, manufacturers, and places to buy the flexible LED tape items, Google "FLEXIBLE LED STRIP" and you will turn up pages of Internet links.

                    With best regards, Hart
                  • Jim Spencer
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 2, 2010
                      Regarding LED ribbon lights, I recently purchased a couple hundred
                      feet of LED "rope lights" which would be roughly the equivalent from
                      Home Depot. They also have the true ribbon lights, albeit only in
                      short strips. I used mine in an outdoor application. The rope lights
                      are quite a bit cheaper than the ribbon lights and come in a slightly
                      warm daylight color -- very pleasing. They are sold under the
                      "Hampton Bay" label. They produce almost no heat and use very little
                      power.

                      Be careful though not to buy the incandescent rope lights they still
                      sell which are being phased out and may be priced very low. The
                      incandescent packaging is labeled with a capital "I". The LED lights
                      are labeled with a capital "L". (I made that mistake).

                      The LED lights are also priced higher than their incandescent
                      counterparts, albeit dropping quickly as manufacturing capacity
                      rises. They are the future of layout lighting, in my opinion.

                      Jim
                      James G. Spencer, Architect, AIA
                      trainmanjs@...
                    • Don Bergman
                      Message 10 of 18 , Sep 9, 2010
                        George, et al

                        Early August there was information about the LED ribbon lights. I tried to
                        locate some in the Holland / Grand Rapids Michigan are and getting prices
                        from $7.95 LED rope light to LED tape light at $39 a foot. A little
                        confused as some suppliers are calling it tape light or rope light. Is the
                        actual name "Ribbon" light? With the sample at $8.00 for 18" I presume
                        that I am looking at the $7.95 per foot range. What should I expect to pay
                        for the product you are using. Any additional information is appreciated.
                        Can you give us information on the supplier? Does the product take a
                        special power source? If so what kind and how much does it cost?

                        I have several lower deck areas of close clearance. I tried the old
                        incandescent rope lights in the past but they never put out enough light.

                        Don Bergman
                        Holland, MI