Re: Blackstone Drop Bottom Gons

  • Jonathan Zook
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 1, 2010
      I picked up mine yesterday from Caboose. I only purchased three, but all three had wheels popped out from the journals. One of the gons was nearly completely dislodged from the blister. Thankfully, there were no broken or detached parts, and wheels were easily placed back into the journals. No big deal for me. The detail is incredible!!! I can't wait now for the tank cars to come out.

      JZ
    • tcmmr
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 2, 2010
        I'm still waiting for gons from Caboose Hobbies (I live in Africa and my gons have just landed on the continent - should get them in the next day or so) much anticipated!!

        I must admit I am a little disappointed to hear this. I can handle wheels that have popped out of their journal but broken parts is just not cool. Especially if one is to consider that you're paying well over $40 for one car.

        Since my cars have to hop over the pond twice - from China to the US and then back to Africa - I suspect they are going to be in very bad shape by the time I get them :(
      • Wayne
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 2, 2010
          All six of mine were in perfect condition, picked up last Saturday at the Train Shop in Santa Clara, CA. There was one inconsequential packaging anomoly though. On one (and only one), the folding tab at the top of the carrier was neatly taped closed. I have not seen this on any other Blackstone car I've purchased - could have been done by store personnel making spot checks. In any event, everything was perfect.

          By the way, as of last Saturday (June 26) they still had at least one of each number in stock. Price is discounted a few bucks too. (408) 296-1050 if you are interested.

          Disclaimer: I an not an employee of, nor do I have a financial interest in The Train Shop

          Wayne Cohen
          Morgan Hill, CA
        • mmtb844
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 2, 2010
            Strange I had one with tape on the cradle I didnt notice it until George at BS saw it and said something so I guess that 2 of us that has had free tape
            Rod in Dolores
            Subject: [HOn3] Re: Blackstone Drop Bottom Gons/Where to get Drop Bottom gons

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 2, 2010
              Dont worrie they are a VERY simple fix just pop the axles back in and you should be ready to roll, I had 4 of my 6, had axles out , i didnt take them out of Box . I live close enough to BS i called and told them i was coming in one day, I did and George Looked at them, he fixed them right up . Took about 10 minutes plus we shot the bull also cant always talk shop LOL
              I dont think you will have anything to worry about Caboose shipped mine real good
              Rod in Dolores

              I'm still waiting for gons from Caboose Hobbies (I live in Africa and my gons have just landed on the continent - should get them in the next day or so) much anticipated!!

              I must admit I am a little disappointed to hear this. I can handle wheels that have popped out of their journal but broken parts is just not cool. Especially if one is to consider that you're paying well over $40 for one car.

              Since my cars have to hop over the pond twice - from China to the US and then back to Africa - I suspect they are going to be in very bad shape by the time I get them :(

            • jimkueneman
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 3, 2010
                Rod,

                They are not all that easy to fix. Two of mine were literally sideways in the box and clearly had been that way for quite a while as the wheelset had put enough pressure on the truck frame to "cold flow" the plastic enough the wheelset would not say in. Took some over bending of the truck to "cold flow" it back enough to keep it in.

                The other one was similar but the brake arm was also broken due to the pressure.

                Jim

                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 4, 2010
                  They arrived and in very good shape, only the wheels popped off and not nearly as badly as others have mentioned. No broken parts. 1 of the 6 had no issues. Two had slightly warped trucks, I suppose I can replace them if I really want to.

                  I am very impressed with the level of detail here. Man, BS has done a really fine job. I am now more of a fan than ever!

                  > Since my cars have to hop over the pond twice - from China to the US and then back to Africa - I suspect they are going to be in very bad shape by the time I get them :(

                • Jim Spencer
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 5, 2010
                    Another problem I found with my 6 Blackstone drop bottom gons is the
                    coupler heights are too low. I checked them with a Kadee HOn3 couple
                    height gauge and against my other Blackstone cars. The fix is a brass
                    washer on each bolster to raise them to the correct height. That was
                    easy, but I had to put a drop of ACC in the screw holes to secure the
                    screws (otherwise they will back out).
                    Jim
                    James G. Spencer, Architect, AIA
                    trainmanjs@...
                  • Kjb80401@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 5, 2010
                      Jim,

                      Since you're trying to be precise in what to do, you should make note of
                      what the thickness is of your washer as thicknesses of what's available
                      varies all over the map.

                      And,,,,,just how severe was the mis-match you noticed?

                      Keevan

                      In a message dated 7/5/2010 1:15:13 P.M. Mountain Daylight Time,
                      trainmanjs@... writes:

                      The fix is a brass
                      washer on each bolster to raise them to the correct height.

                    • Mark
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 5, 2010
                        Jim,
                        Many use a TINY drop of white glue just in case we have to take the screw out again - without the bolster that is.
                        Anyone here made the comparison between the Grandt line kit and the BS models. Have a few built GL kits, but won't see my ready built ones 'til the other side of the year.

                        Mark
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 5, 2010
                          I just rechecked my pre-production review sample (I don't have my
                          ordered gons yet) and the coupler heights are right on. And of course
                          my Blackstone drop bottom couplers match my Grandt and RRobb cars - they
                          were all set to the gauge. So everyone should check there new DB's to
                          make sure there will be no operating problems.

                          And Mark was right - a small drop of white glue will hold the coupler
                          mounting screw (and truck mounting screws too) in place, but they can
                          still be backed out if necessary.

                          Jim Vail .