Re: [HOn3] Conversion to HOn3

  • lloyd lehrer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2010
      I converted two sets of civil war flats (the 5 pocket and the 9 pocket).
      All I had to do was use the hon3 couplers and I used MDC trucks and the car
      was already at the right height. And yes they are easily small enough to fit
      right in.

      --
      lloyd 310 951-9097

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1 9:41 AM
        STEVEN wrote:

        > I am about to start a conversion of my layout from HO to HOn3. I am
        > putting together a roster of rolling stock and have ordered a trio of
        > Blackstone C-19's. I was hoping to salvage a few HO cars and make them
        > suitable for HOn3. I've seen Mr. Hatch's articles on converting the MDC
        > Overtons and I will be starting that project inmnmediately. Has anyone
        > converted BTS car kits to HOn3. They appear small enough to just add
        > trucks and couplers after lowering the bolsters a bit. Any thoughts or
        > suggestions?

        Steel flats and gondolas of 30-40' length will fit in, if narrowed to
        about 8' over side sills, just as D&RGW was doing in the 1940's. See
        Sloan's " A Century plus Ten of D&RGW Freight Cars" for examples. For
        modeling, the basic idea is to slice a foot or so out of the middle,
        as was illustrated in an RMC article of some years ago, on converting
        the Athren 40' fishbelly flat.