Re: [HOn3] The Narrow Gauge Annual

  • David Barron
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
      OK, how do and who do I contact to get one of the NGA's ordered?
      Mule
    • craig palmer
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
        yup very easy.

        CraigP

      • Doug Cummings
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
          So what I am looking for is a copy of the summer 2007 and summer 2008 Narrow
          Gauge Annual's.
          Doug

          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
            Well, other than Caboose Hobbies (again), the publisher probably still has them for sale. Google Westlake Publishing.

            Mike Conder

            Mule wrote:

            > OK, how do and who do I contact to get one of the NGA's ordered?
            Sent from my handheld
          • Dunlevy, Bruce
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
              Doug,

              I believe you can only get these through your LHS. I picked up one a
              couple of weeks ago at my LHS. I have been buying them from my LHS for
              the last couple of years. I think I have back to 2003 and the ones I
              did not have I picked up through eBay. I think I am only missing the
              2002 issue at this point. I have not seen any evidence of there being
              any issues beyond 2002. I recently saw a 2009 one for sale on eBay.
              Hope this helps.

              Bruce

            • Doug Cummings
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
                Been there, done that. They say they don't.
                Doug

                > Well, other than Caboose Hobbies (again), the publisher probably still has
                > them for sale. Google Westlake Publishing.
                >
                > Mike Conder

              • lloyd lehrer
                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
                  I just sent an email to Russ, who is the publisher of the ng annuals to see
                  what he has in stock. Will let you know in a few minutes

                  Lloyd Lehrer, 310 951-9097, Los Angeles Model RR Society (www.lamrs.org),
                  Terrapin NG Society, 4L, NMRA, and a bunch of other time using orgs.

                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
                    Our LHS only has the 2009 Annual on the shelf. I asked about the others,
                    they are long ago sold out. The publisher does not do individual back issue
                    sales according to their web page. Only outlet I can see would be some LHS
                    who may still have older issues in stock, or eBay. When you have three
                    different publications with similar title's I can see where Craig, and
                    others, would find it very confusing. I had the same problem initially too.
                    Doug

                  • RoundBell@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
                      Salida Roundhouse (719)530-1496 has several back issues including the NCNG,
                      Clifton Mining District and RGS issues. Wayne Weiss

                      Message 10 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
                        I just got off the phone with the publisher and he says he does not produce
                        or maintain any back issues. I suggest you sign up for the set of annuals.
                        They are the sharpest photos and best descriptions of the process used to
                        make the items he is including in the annuals. He produces a logging and
                        mining annual and a modeller's annual as well as the NG. each one has some
                        historical articles with well documented photos and info as well as the
                        models and their descriptions of methods. Here is the link.

                        http://www.finescalerr.com/subscribe.htm

                        Message 11 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
                          I thought Chris Lane's company (published Model Railroading) handled Westlake back issues, but I don't know who took over when they closed shop. I meant for one to Google Westlake for the current issue, not back issues (two threads going here makes for a bit of confusion).

                          Mike Conder

                          Sent from my handheld
                        • David Barron
                          Message 12 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
                            Actually I just found out the publisher, Westlake Publishing, does not sell
                            direct and suggested I contact Caboose Hobbies in Denver. I did and have it
                            on the way now. Tanks
                            Mule

                            > Well, other than Caboose Hobbies (again), the publisher probably still has
                            > them for sale. Google Westlake Publishing.
                            >
                            > Mike Conder

                          • Tony Burgess
                            Message 13 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
                              Westlake is run by Russ Reinberg at http://www.finescalerr.com/ and I subscribe to all issues during the year, there are three now I think. I have an article coming out in the December issue.
                              Tony Burgess
                              Tulsa, OK

                              Message 14 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
                                Russ does sell direct. Go to the "order books" link at top, or http://www.finescalerr.com/subscribe.htm, you can buy the books he has coming out from there. I've been doing it for a few years now. He does not sell back issues though.
                                Tony Burgess
                                Tulsa, OK
                                Actually I just found out the publisher, Westlake Publishing, does not sell
                                direct and suggested I contact Caboose Hobbies in Denver. I did and have it
                                on the way now. Tanks
                                Mule

                                > Well, other than Caboose Hobbies (again), the publisher probably still has
                                > them for sale. Google Westlake Publishing.
                                >
                                > Mike Conder

                              • John Lyans
                                Message 15 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
                                  Russ Reinberg of Westlake, California publishes three soft cover books a
                                  year. "The Narrow Gauge Annual," "The Logging and Mining and Industrial
                                  Annual" and a "Modelers Annual." Aside from several copies for himself, Russ
                                  does not keep or sell any back issues. I think ebay is probably the best bet
                                  for past Annuals.

                                  Russ started out publishing the every other month, "Outdoor Railroader"
                                  which later morphed into "Finescale Railroader" and now he just does the
                                  three annuals each year. Each annual has only about four or five pages of
                                  advertising at the back of the book with the rest of the book devoted to
                                  feature articles The ads are largely oriented towards large scale with a
                                  smaller amount of HOn3, On3 and On30 ads. Each of the annuals usually has as
                                  the feature piece a lengthy article/pictures by Mallory Hope Ferrell. It's
                                  quite a nice book. Cost is currently $19.95.

                                  I had not previously heard of the HOn3 Annual until I joined this group a
                                  couple of weeks ago. BTW, I have enjoyed lurking here. Very informative
                                  posts.

                                  Best wishes,
                                  John Lyans
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
                                    I'm at Caboose Hobbies & they have the Spring 2008 "Logging and Mining" annual plus the 3 2009 books (Logging, NG and Modeler's Annuals).

                                    Mike Conder
                                    Sent from my handheld
                                  • jcmm3030@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
                                      Reinberg's Spring 2009 Logging Miining & Industrial album features Diamond
                                      & Caldor Ry (California Door Co.) photographs from Mal Ferrels book.
                                      Include are modern photos by Dick Thomas and myself, with Dick's starting on
                                      page 24 to 36, and mine on 37 to 50 with a few more of Dicks following. My
                                      best logging photos are there specially my #6 on the trestle. Enjoy them.
                                      John Cummings

                                    • RoundBell@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Oct 2, 2009
                                        Just went by the Salida (Colorado) Roundhouse (719)530-1496 and they had
                                        the following Narrow Gauge Annuals
                                        2009 lead article D&RGW around Gunnison and Crested Butte
                                        2008 Marshall Pass NOT IN STOCK
                                        2007 Nevada County N G (Early Days) after 1908 was
                                        scheduled for 2008
                                        2006 Rio Grande Cabooses by Bob Sloan
                                        2006 Logging,Mining Ann. Michigan Calif. Lu. Co.
                                        2004 Logging,Mining Ann. Narrow Gauges of the Clifton Morenci Mining Dist.
                                        (Ariz)
                                        Your local hobby shop is the best place to find the back issues,
                                        they are a fabulous reference source.
                                        Wayne Weiss

                                        In a message dated 10/2/2009 5:04:28 P.M. Central Standard Time,
                                        adm.nelson@... writes:

                                        _http://shop.http://shhttp://shop.<WBRhttp://shop.&_armrs=1&<WBR>_&_ipg=_
                                        (http://shop.ebay.com/sidetraxhobbies/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=)
                                        this seller has 3 or 4, same one from last link.
                                        Tony Burgess
                                        Tulsa, OK

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Oct 3, 2009
                                          Getting a little confused here - Is not Roundbell and Salida Roundhouse one of the same?

                                          Al

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Oct 3, 2009
                                            I also subscribe.

                                            Westlake Publishing Company
                                            1574 Kerryglen Street
                                            Westlake Village, CA 91361

                                            Phone: (M-F 10am-6pm Pacific) 805-379-0904

                                            Hobby Shop distribution by Kalmbach Publishing Co

                                            Hope that helps.

                                            Spike

                                            --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "David Barron" <climax@...> wrote:

                                            > OK, how do and who do I contact to get one of the NGA's ordered?
                                            > Mule

                                          • Doug Cummings
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Oct 3, 2009
                                              I would do this except according to their web site you have to subscribe to
                                              all of the annuals, not just one.
                                              Doug

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Oct 3, 2009
                                                Not true, you can get all three, or the next two or just the last one, it depends on when you order. If all you want is the last one, order between July 2 and November 1.

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Oct 3, 2009
                                                  But what if you only want the one in the middle?

                                                  > Not true, you can get all three, or the next two or just the last one, it
                                                  > depends on when you order. If all you want is the last one, order between
                                                  > July 2 and November 1.
                                                • Tony Burgess
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Oct 3, 2009
                                                    You can sell the other. I don't know, you have to make your own choice there. If you want something that bad, besides, the third issue is really great too.
                                                    Tony Burgess
                                                    Tulsa, OK