HOn3 Annual

  • Brett Payne
    Message 1 of 45 , Oct 1, 2009
      I patiently awaited my copy. NO I DIDN'T! I wrote Chris Lane 3 days
      ago to double check he had sent it!

      I have scanned through the content of the annual and after reading the
      feedback on these lists I would like to add my view. It is a great
      magazine and I am proud to be part of it. With regard to paying homage
      to the NGSL Gazette and asking why the HOn3 authors from their were not
      more involved, I have to wonder why. The Gazette is a great magazine
      and offers content that I find unique and valuable. The authors in the
      Gazette are accomplished and I count several of them as my friends too.
      But what the HOn3 has done is to bring more authors out of the closet
      and created a greater pool of authors for all the magazines.

      Instead of just the Gazette as it used to be, today we have NGDU, the
      Carsten's Annuals, the Finescale Modeler Annuals, LID and CNGQ and also
      the narrow gauge content in the major international magazine. For this
      type of information we are far richer than we ever were.

      In parallel our long suffering HOn3 kit manufacturers have been joined
      by Blackstone, Micro Trains and Con-Cor!

      To those who claimed we are a dying corner of a dying hobby I think we
      can safely say they were wrong.

      With regard to the lack of a "What is HOn3" article in this first annual
      I notice the first two articles actually approached this from some
      interesting perspectives. I would also suggest the web article posted
      on the Annual 's website was a great booster and value add.

      Cheers
      (off to read my Annual cover to cover)

      Brett Payne
    • johndrgw
      Message 45 of 45 , Oct 5, 2010
        There can be some confusion with these titles. Carstens' HOn3 Annual comes out in late August to early September. Carstens' On30 Annual is usually advertised before the HOn3 Annual so I assume it comes out before the HOn3 Annual. I had ordered via the RMC/Carstens website the HOn3 Annual in June, I believe, and it came by FedEx while I was away on vacation (and at the NNGC), sometime between the 1st and 16th of September. This issue has been in hobby shops since at least mid-September and has a lot of useful modeling articles for HOn3.

        Then, Westlake Pub., which formerly had a periodical called "Finescale Railroader", now publishes 3 annuals--a "Narrow Gauge Annual" by early August, a "Modeler's Annual" usually by December and a "Logging, Mining & Industrial Annual in the Spring. I highly recommend all 3 of these special annuals from Westlake. The Narrow Gauge Annual for the last several years has had a long (40 to 60 pages) informative article by Mal Ferrell on some RGS or D&RGW history with lots of great pictures. I see these articles as useful mini-books by Mal, who is a rather prolific author.

        John