Re: [HOn3] Re: Steve Harris' Durango

  • Steven Harris
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 2, 2009
      Thanks, Mike!

      Steve

      On Jun 1, 2009, at 7:00 PM, Trains4MS@... wrote:

      > Steve,
      >
      > Nice article in the new Model Railroader. You give a lot of good
      > tips and
      > techniques. I'm also very glad I was able to see the layout in
      > person. I
      > also saw the elevator work, that was written up last month! Your
      > pictures are
      > great as usual.
      >
      > Mike Schwab
      > San Lorenzo Southern
      > Sn3
    • Craig Linn
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 2, 2009
        I would also agree. It's great to finally see a HOn3 layout grace the cover of MR. I must confess as well, when I saw that cover shot I let out a big "WOW!" when I saw it.

        Great article as well. Definitely things that I will put to use in my model building.

        Craig
      • Russ Norris
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 3, 2009
          My July issue of Model Railroader came yesterday, and I was as impressed as the rest of you by Steve's Durango module. I am in the process of building a similar town (Blacklog) at the junction with the EBT on my Eastern coal mining layout. There were a lot of good tips on how to make the town more realistic. I was especially interested in the techniques Steve uses to produce signage on the buildings. Nice job!
        • John Dowling
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 4, 2009
            I'd like to add to the pile of compliments for Steve's article. What was special for me was that my MR arrived just a couple of days after I decided I want to build a downtown on my layout. Great inspiration! Thanks Steve.

            The article underscores that Photoshop is one of the great benefits computers have brought to this hobby. Would it make sense to set up a file to share photos of signs? Would it have to be higher quality than the Photo section? I have a few to contribute.
          • Steven Harris
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 4, 2009
              Thanks, Craig, Russ and John for your nice comments.

              John, I think your idea of sharing signs is a good one, but I think
              you're right about the photo section not being high enough quality.
              Picasa does allow large files, so I've uploaded some wall signs print
              sheets I made up for some friends recently at: http://picasaweb.google.com/Stevenleroyharris/WallSigns#

              These include some of the signs I used on my Durango.

              I don't think that it's possible for others to upload to this album,
              but you (and hopefully) others can easily create your own Picasa
              albums and share with us here on the HOn3 list.

              Steve Harris

              On Jun 4, 2009, at 6:28 AM, John Dowling wrote:

              > I'd like to add to the pile of compliments for Steve's article.
              > What was special for me was that my MR arrived just a couple of days
              > after I decided I want to build a downtown on my layout. Great
              > inspiration! Thanks Steve.
              >
              > The article underscores that Photoshop is one of the great benefits
              > computers have brought to this hobby. Would it make sense to set up
              > a file to share photos of signs? Would it have to be higher quality
              > than the Photo section? I have a few to contribute.
            • lloyd lehrer
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 5, 2009
                Thanks steve, stole all of um! In case you have not been told enough times;
                hey, nice article to complement a great layout.

                Lloyd Lehrer, 310 951-9097, Los Angeles Model RR Society (www.lamrs.org),
                Terrapin NG Society, 4L, NMRA, and a bunch of other time using orgs.

                Thanks, Craig, Russ and John for your nice comments.

                John, I think your idea of sharing signs is a good one, but I think
                you're right about the photo section not being high enough quality.
                Picasa does allow large files, so I've uploaded some wall signs print
                sheets I made up for some friends recently at:
                http://picasaweb.google.com/Stevenleroyharris/WallSigns#
                <http://picasaweb.google.com/Stevenleroyharris/WallSigns>

                These include some of the signs I used on my Durango.

                I don't think that it's possible for others to upload to this album,
                but you (and hopefully) others can easily create your own Picasa
                albums and share with us here on the HOn3 list.

                Steve Harris

                On Jun 4, 2009, at 6:28 AM, John Dowling wrote:

                > I'd like to add to the pile of compliments for Steve's article.
                > What was special for me was that my MR arrived just a couple of days
                > after I decided I want to build a downtown on my layout. Great
                > inspiration! Thanks Steve.
                >
                > The article underscores that Photoshop is one of the great benefits
                > computers have brought to this hobby. Would it make sense to set up
                > a file to share photos of signs? Would it have to be higher quality
                > than the Photo section? I have a few to contribute.

              • r.hoppes
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 5, 2009
                  Steve,
                  I loved the photos and the article.

                  I noticed that on Step 7, Sidewalks, you upscaled by a factor of 10. The curbs don't look nearly 3/4 of an inch high though. Maybe you are starting something here: 1:8.7 scale for sidewalks could catch on...

                  Ray
                • Steven Harris
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 6, 2009
                    Ray,

                    Thanks for catching my error. I needed a little humility.

                    Steve Harris