RE: [HOn3] new M-T DRGW gondola was New Blackstone Boxcars

  • Paul Richardson
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 2 7:00 AM
      Duncan,

      I agree, I have at least one of everything Blackstone has released and
      several duplicates and 9 Muhens with sound. My wallet is waving a white flag
      but I know that I will continue buying them because they are so good.

      Paul Richardson, MMR

    • Rich Strebendt
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 2 8:17 AM
        --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "David Barron" <climax@...> wrote:
        > ... These are not contest
        > models, they are production models at a decent price. So go ahead
        > and fill
        > your yards, make modifications if it bugs you so much, but remember
        > if you
        > boycott a manufacturer, you are cutting your own throats, they will
        > stop and
        > then were will you be, probably still complaining but now that they
        > quit!

        Well said!

        My only disappointment is that most of the HOn3 models come lettered (mostly) for Western narrow gauge roads. I would love to see some painted, lettered except for reporting marks, models that I could easily letter (without applying blotches of paint over the reporting marks) for my freelanced midwestern narrow gauge road.

        > Keep it light, keep it friendly, and by all means keep it fun.

        Right on!

        Rich Strebendt
      • Mark Kasprowicz
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 2 8:19 AM
          Paul, Duncan, Mike,

          Well said all three. Was there not a hint when the 4'8" archbar trucks were released that they were a prelude to a tank car being produced, like the UTLX? But i wonder whether they have got themselves into a bit of a rut. Apart from the reefer (and I bought a batch of these, even in C&S livery) the broader appeal of these cars doesn't seem to have happened. I do recall seeing a batch of Denver, Boulder and Western gons lingering in Caboose and wondered about WP&Y reefers. If the numbers sold are as we've heard then I doubt there is either the confidence or the cash to commit to another car especially something as complex as a tank.

          I would readily buy accurate models of a UTLX either framed or frameless, if it's a problem let them leave the numbering off, like they did with their dimensional reefers. What I cannot do is to buy badge engineered versions of non existent cars when the real McKoy is just around the corner. I cannot even use the excuse that buying MT's models will enable future releases when all that might turn out to be will be another badge engineered gon.

          Blackstone just announced the economy door boxcar, a couple of new moldings and more life is breathed into a model already selling well. MT change a logo to a non existant car and expect the same result. As Duncan rightly says it's not going to happen - I have ordered all BS gons, none of the MT.

          I cannot equal Paul's nine Mudhens, I only have seven. But i do admit to somehow ending up with sixty three box and stock cars when they were first released. Don't ask how, it just happened but I've managed to move the duplicates on in England.

          Mark.
        • Dennis Larson
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 2 8:29 AM
            The first of the manufacturers to do a tank car correctly should make a gold mine. I'm talking of an accurate HOn3 model, not a wanna-be like Bachmann did in ON30 with a Gramps tank on a flat car.
            In the meantime, I'll slowly convert a few MDC 26 foot old timers and build a few PSC kits. But it's a slow way to get the fleet I want.
            Dennis

          • David Barron
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 2 8:35 AM
              Rome or the DRG were not built in a day either. hahhaha
              Mule

              > The first of the manufacturers to do a tank car correctly should make a
              > gold mine. I'm talking of an accurate HOn3 model, not a wanna-be like
              > Bachmann did in ON30 with a Gramps tank on a flat car.
              > In the meantime, I'll slowly convert a few MDC 26 foot old timers and
              > build a few PSC kits. But it's a slow way to get the fleet I want.
              > Dennis

            • Mike Lehman
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 2 9:12 AM
                Rich,
                Blackstone has heard your cry. Among the items announced yesterday was:
                B340126 Painted and unlettered economy door boxcar

                Mike Lehman
                Urbana, IL

                Rich Strebendt wrote:
                > SNIP
                >
                > Well said!
                >
                > My only disappointment is that most of the HOn3 models come lettered (mostly) for Western narrow gauge roads. I would love to see some painted, lettered except for reporting marks, models that I could easily letter (without applying blotches of paint over the reporting marks) for my freelanced midwestern narrow gauge road.
              • Dunlevy, Bruce
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 2 10:26 AM
                  Someone was asking about what the Economy doors were. I found side by
                  side models on the PBL website that shows the doors on the boxcars. It
                  is at:

                  http://www.p-b-l.com/rolling-stock/R2E&R/3K_New1.html

                  Bruce

                • Jeffrey J. Brundt
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 2 10:31 AM
                    That was me.

                    I gave up on getting an answer with all the distraction of the M-T gons postings so I did a search and found the same P-B-L web page.

                    I'm just curious as to why the D&RGW needed both styles of doors?

                    Jeff

                    ________________________________
                    Someone was asking about what the Economy doors were. I found side by
                    side models on the PBL website that shows the doors on the boxcars. It
                    is at:

                    http://www.p- b-l.com/rolling- stock/R2E& R/3K_New1. html
                    Bruce

                    od cause.
                    Y! Toolbar
                    Get it Free!
                    easy 1-click access
                    to your groups.
                    Yahoo! Groups
                    Start a group
                    in 3 easy steps.
                    Connect with others.
                    .

                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 2 10:40 AM
                      Mike Conder wrote:

                      > Theyre they go again ....
                      >
                      > I guess the gons will go well with the non-existant steel underframe
                      > (SUF) D&RGW flats, NCNG flats, F&CC gons, etc.
                      >
                      > It's sad to see a company that appeared to understand the HOn3 world
                      > with RTR go so wrong in their execution of the idea. Wish they'd get a
                      > clue, and come out with the SUF box car in lots of numbers & different
                      > C&S and RGS paint schemes. I won't be buying any of these.

                      Its a matter of corporate culture. For the last 30 years or so MT has
                      done very well, making excellent models of standard modern SG freight
                      cars, and then lettering them for a wide variety of owners, often
                      totally imaginary ones. I suspect that much of their N scale sales
                      are to collectors who want one each of every lettering style.

                      So it is only natural for them to expect that they can continue to do
                      so with their HOn3 offerings. MT's C&S cars are excellent models in
                      themselves, better than anything available only 3 years ago. But
                      their prototypes were only used on a few roads, and most of us know
                      this. Lettering cars for roads that never ran them is not going to
                      help sales much in the HOn3 market. MT will eventually learn this, or
                      be squeezed out by Blackstone or others, who do understand that narrow
                      gauger modelers tend to know their prototypes in some detail.

                      As an example, I am still waffling over buying any Blackstone cars,
                      since I would need to re-letter bodies and ditch the distinctive D&RGW
                      trucks.

                      John Stutz
                    • Kjb80401@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 2 10:43 AM
                        Jeff,

                        Could it be as the birdies say, "cheap, cheap, cheap"?

                        Keevan

                        **************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make dinner for $10 or

                      • Kjb80401@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 2 10:50 AM
                          John,

                          Picky, picky, picky..........

                          They did issue an unlettered flat car. Wouldn't be surprised if they did it
                          for some more types in the future. After all, they are listening.

                          Bottom line, right hand corner, consider all of the outstanding attributes
                          of their cars they have been putting out there.

                          Keevan

                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 2 10:51 AM
                            > and ditch the distinctive D&RGW
                            trucks.

                            You'll have no trouble finding buyers for the Blackstone trucks, John!
                            In fact, save my email; I'll be among the first in line to take them off your hands.
                            Dennis

                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 2 11:02 AM
                              OK Dennis, you get first refusal.

                              I truly hate the idea of wasting such good trucks, even if they are
                              completely inappropriate for my modeling.

                              John

                              Dennis Larson wrote:

                              > > and ditch the distinctive D&RGW
                              > trucks.
                              >
                              > You'll have no trouble finding buyers for the Blackstone trucks, John!
                              > In fact, save my email; I'll be among the first in line to take them off
                              > your hands.
                              > Dennis

                            • Dunlevy, Bruce
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 2 11:06 AM
                                John,

                                The Economy door boxcar is coming in a painted and unlettered version.
                                See:

                                http://www.rollinstock.com/blackstone_instock_b&s.htm

                                for the model numbers. This one will also not be weathered.

                                Bruce

                              • vulturenest1@yahoo.com
                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 2 11:45 AM
                                  John,

                                  What are you modeling that can't use the trucks, and what trucks will you use?

                                  From: John Stutz <John.C.Stutz@...>

                                  Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 11:02:31
                                  To: HOn3@yahoogroups.com<HOn3@yahoogroups.com>

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 3 6:04 PM
                                    vulturenest1@... wrote:
                                    > What are you modeling that can't use the trucks, and what trucks will
                                    > you use?
                                    >
                                    > Mike Conder

                                    I model a conceptually expanded White Pass that reached Great Slave
                                    Lake circa 1953, one built in expansive surges circa 1898-1905,
                                    1910-1915, 1925-1930, and 1948-1953. So in addition to original White
                                    Pass rolling stock, I can use what would have been built in the later
                                    eras. During which American builders actually did build a lot in the
                                    way of narrow gauge locomotives and rolling stock for export markets.

                                    Most of the D&RG NG stock, the cars we are all familiar with, were
                                    built just after my first surge. In addition, first generation White
                                    Pass stock followed conventional patterns, with high floors and under
                                    slung couplers. So most D&RG stock does not fit. By the time of my
                                    second surge, inside hung brakes on 4'6"+ wheelbase trucks were
                                    standard for new NG construction, and cast side frames were being
                                    introduced on C&S, EBT, Uintah & etc. And while White Pass, during
                                    WW-II, gathered in second hand stock from the ET&WNC, EBT?, C&S, SV,
                                    PC, NCNG, and Granby (Anyox), they never got anything from the D&RGW
                                    or RGW. So the fairly distinctive D&RG standard 3'7"wb NG freight
                                    truck has no place in my modeling.

                                    I use PSC C&S 4'wb wood bolster trucks for first generation White Pass
                                    stock. These are a little large, both in wheelbase and wheel
                                    diameter, but give a fair representation. For later stock I can use
                                    anything of 4'6"wb or greater, either arch bar or cast side frame.
                                    Between PSC, Rio Grande, and several other suppliers, I have a couple
                                    dozen choices. To some extent I mix and match sideframes, bolsters
                                    and wheelsets to get what I want. But that is mostly for the older
                                    products. Recent offerings from PSC, MT, and Blackstone are better
                                    looking and much better engineered than what we had available only 10
                                    years ago. For a 1970's truck, I use sideframes from Athren 5'wb
                                    articulated spine car trucks, on 28" wheels.