Re: [HOn3] Shinohara Turnouts and Tortoises

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2009
      Are you using the wimpy throw wire that comes with the Tortoise?  Most of my round robin group has replaced this wire with soemthimg closer to 0.040-0.050" diameter.  Makes  world fo difference!
       Mike Conder

      > I have several Shinohara #6 turnouts that I'm converting from ground throws to Tortoise powered turnouts so that I can use the internal SPDT switches to power the frog. A few of them I have no problems with, but many are giving me fits.....

    • David Barron
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2009
        I have been using .032 SS wire and it seems to work pretty good too.
        Dave

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2009
          > When I throw the electric switch in one direction the points move
          > nice and smooth all the way across. The other direction the points
          > stick and at the last second "snap" over. About 1/3 of the time
          > they delay so long that they SPDT switch throws and I get a short.
          > I have no idea why the points turn smoothly in one direction and not
          > the other.

          Eric,
          The Tortoise is a great device but it has one shortcoming. If you look inside you will see
          that there are a couple of wipers which move across two copper tracks on a printed circuit
          board. These are the two SPDT (or more correctly the DPDT). If you look at the closely
          you'll see that the space between the ends of the tracks ie the two poles, is very close. So
          if the point blades are delayed in moving from one side to the other as you describe, you
          will still have contact with the stock rail on one polarity when the Tortoise switches it to
          the other and that's how the short occures. This is much more noticeable on DCC than DC.
          Worse still if the turnouts are DCC operated when the whole system grinds to a halt.

          I had exactly what you describe - one way smooth, the other delayed. The cure for all is
          using thicker wire, another is altering the angle of Tortoise to the turnout. But one thing
          will fix this for once and for all but it will void the Tortoise warranty. Remove the label
          (warranty gone), undo the screws, and the case will split in two. You'll see the tracks and
          the wipers clearly. Copper tracks are too long anyway so shorten them by using a dremel
          cut-off wheel a short distance from the point where the wiper comes to a rest - you just
          need to put a break in the track, no more. Put it back together and that short is history.

          If my description isn't clear, let me know and I'll post a couple of photos which will show
          you what has to be done.

          Mark
        • cynthia schallenmuller
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
            Thicker wires?  Why didn't I think of that!  Tried it and it works great!
            Preserves that warranty, too.

            Thanks again,  Eric

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
              IIRC, one of our guys uses the regular wires but slips a tube over them, making it stiffer between the Tortoise and the track bed.  Thicker wires will require drilling out some of the holes for more clearance.  But they work!
               Mike Conder