2 Tsunamis Decoder Questions

  • Don Bergman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
      Folks,

      1- For several years I have had a Tsunamis 1000 Decoder working fine in an older Westside K-27. Motor has a little less than a 1 amp rating. The Tsunamis worked great until about a month ago. When starting it works fine but after running a few seconds it shorts out only when the motor is running and acts like a Blackstone with the over oiling problem. All sound features work if there is no power to the motor. The motor runs fine on straight DC and with another decoder so I suspect the problem is in the Tsunamis. The Sound portion of the Tsunami works fine with the motor disconnected. The chuff sound accelerates as expected with the increased throttle. (No cam)

      I suspect there is something damaged in the motor portion of the Tsunamis. Any thoughts about this?

      2- Since the motor runs okay on another decoder and the Sound portion of the Tsunami works okay I thought about using one decoder to run the motor and keep the Tsunami for sound. I have installed both decoders into the Tender ( power wires not connected) and am now wondering how to program both in the same engine. I can set both long addresses to 463 but how does one individually program the decoders. It seems if on the programming track both would respond. There is a feature to lock one decoder while programming then other ( CV 15 & 16) but how do you unlock one with out unlocking the other. Must one disconnect the wires of one to program each one? Should I give the decoders separate addresses and then consist them together? This sounds like it would work on paper!

      Don Bergman

    • Ed McCamey
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
        --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "Don Bergman" <DBRenegade@...> wrote:
        > 1- For several years I have had a Tsunamis 1000 Decoder working
        > fine . . . <sniped> . .
        > I suspect there is something damaged in the motor portion of the
        > Tsunamis. Any thoughts about this?

        -enm- Don, I would suspect the motor circuits have been overloaded.
        Having nearly 1 amp of motor draw is a LOT for a Tsunami decoder.

        > 2- . . . <sniped> . . . It seems if on the programming track both
        > would respond. There is a feature to lock one decoder while
        > programming then other ( CV 15 & 16) but how do you unlock one
        > with out unlocking the other. Must one disconnect the wires of
        > one to program each one? Should I give the decoders separate
        > addresses and then consist them together? This sounds like it
        > would work on paper!

        -enm- Don, Yes, you'll need to physically separate the decoders for
        programming initially. I'd suggest having separate short addresses,
        having both as a same long address. Set CV 29 for short address - then
        program each short address separately, by using main programming to
        the short address for function programming. Afterward - then set CV29
        for the long address. You'll have to disconnect the decoders to
        establish the separate short addresses to begin with. This should
        give you the future flexibility you'll need. If ever you have to
        factory default the decoders - then a physical disconnect and restart
        of the programming would again be necessary. A small SPST on off on
        one of the power inputs to one side to each decoder separately would
        be sufficient - and the switches could be mounted on the tender bottom
        if you choose a really small switch.

        -ed mccamey-
        COSLAR RR
      • Phil Hackman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
          Having two decoders in a locomotive used to be a common practice
          among the Sn3 guys. Many of them were using older soundtrax modules
          for sound, and something else to control the motor. I'm sure that
          most haven't changed them all out yet, so you could consult the Sn3
          list for advice.

          That said, the other response that I read sounds like what I remember
          reading on the Sn3 list. Very common practice in the early days of
          DCC.

          Happy New Year,
          Phil

          --- In HOn3@yahoogroups.com, "Don Bergman" <DBRenegade@...> wrote:

          > Folks,
          >
          > 1- For several years I have had a Tsunamis 1000 Decoder working
          fine in an older Westside K-27. Motor has a little less than a 1 amp
          rating. The Tsunamis worked great until about a month ago. When
          starting it works fine but after running a few seconds it shorts out
          only when the motor is running and acts like a Blackstone with the
          over oiling problem. All sound features work if there is no power to
          the motor. The motor runs fine on straight DC and with another
          decoder so I suspect the problem is in the Tsunamis. The Sound
          portion of the Tsunami works fine with the motor disconnected. The
          chuff sound accelerates as expected with the increased throttle. (No
          cam)

          > I suspect there is something damaged in the motor portion of the
          Tsunamis. Any thoughts about this?

          > 2- Since the motor runs okay on another decoder and the Sound
          portion of the Tsunami works okay I thought about using one decoder
          to run the motor and keep the Tsunami for sound. I have installed
          both decoders into the Tender ( power wires not connected) and am now
          wondering how to program both in the same engine. I can set both
          long addresses to 463 but how does one individually program the
          decoders. It seems if on the programming track both would respond.
          There is a feature to lock one decoder while programming then other (
          CV 15 & 16) but how do you unlock one with out unlocking the other.
          Must one disconnect the wires of one to program each one? Should I
          give the decoders separate addresses and then consist them together?
          This sounds like it would work on paper!

          > Don Bergman

        • Don Bergman
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
            Ed, Phil,

            Thanks for the comments. After working on the project a little more I
            realized the Tsunami works in only one direction. Looks like it is shot.

            Don Bergman