Re: [HOn3] Re: Length of HOn3 K-36

  • rgs20@icehouse.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 5, 2008
      The D&RGW folio sheet gives the pilot to tender coupler knuckle distance
      for the K-36 class as 68' 3/4" distance - but the wheel base is 58' 7
      3/4". Just fits the 65' turn tables at Durango and Gunnison, with the
      pilot and the tender coupler hanging out over the end of the table.

      Charlie Mutschler
      -30-

      > I think the maximum length is 65', like the Durango turntable. But
      > models may be different depending on the frame and the drawbar changes
      > for HO scale.

    • Craig Linn
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 5, 2008
        How much length would the snow plow give the engine? Just a few feet?

        I'm modeling late fall (haven't zero'd in on a date yet - mid 50's
        right now) so I'm having the majority of my heavy equipment running plows.

        Thanks,

        Craig

        > The D&RGW folio sheet gives the pilot to tender coupler knuckle distance
        > for the K-36 class as 68' 3/4" distance - but the wheel base is 58' 7
        > 3/4". Just fits the 65' turn tables at Durango and Gunnison, with the
        > pilot and the tender coupler hanging out over the end of the table.

      • Phillip Boles
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 5, 2008
          And if you want to size it up to 2/1/2" scale 7/1/2"gauge you have all the important information to do so. and you can make it any size you want if you know the scale game!!!
          Happy model building
          C&S Nut

        • rgs20@icehouse.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 5, 2008
            I would need to check the drawings for the plow, which I don't have easily
            accessible. Yes, it does add a bit more length on the pilot - but the
            D&RGW turned plow equipped K-36 and K-37 class locos at Durango and
            Gunnison. The plow won't change the wheel base length - that's the key to
            fitting the locomotive on the turn table.

            Good luck with your project - we will all be interested in seeing how it
            comes out.

            Charlie
            -30-

            > How much length would the snow plow give the engine? Just a few feet?
            >
            > I'm modeling late fall (haven't zero'd in on a date yet - mid 50's
            > right now) so I'm having the majority of my heavy equipment running plows.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Craig

          • Craig Linn
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 5, 2008
              So far so good. I'm can just hear those Blackstone engines now,
              sitting in the roundhouse...ready for an op session :)

              Craig

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 8, 2008
                Craig Linn wrote:

                > I'm seeing that the K-36 was the largest of the D&RGW Narrow Gauge
                > Steamers, so I am wanting to am make sure that the engine will fit
                > into my roundhouse ....

                You might want to keep in mind that a real roundhouse was primarily a
                place to work on engines, not just store them. Users needed 4'+
                clear between tender couplers and the doors for passage around the
                inner arc. At the outer arc there was typically 10-15' clear between
                coupler and wall, partially for work benches and fixed tools along the
                wall, with a wider space for moving heavy wheeled equipment. This
                tended to get squeezed as engine sizes outgrew older houses. Check
                out any interior photos you can find, both NG and SG, for examples.

                For examples of actual NG roundhouses, check out the Maxwell
                Collection's structure list. There are several original RR drawings
                of D&RG/W and RGS houses.

                John Stutz
              • Craig Linn
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 8, 2008
                  Hi John,

                  I have the plans for the roundhouse in my hands (got them at the CRRM
                  - great info to have).

                  Anyway, my question was just simply because I see that my Blackstone
                  K-27 is slightly longer the the specs that I have on the engine, so I
                  want to make sure that I have more then enough room in the roundhouse
                  for my K-36 fleet :)

                  Craig